HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Nicked Ureter, still flooding! Nicked Ureter, still flooding!

Unread 12-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Nicked Ureter, still flooding!

I'm looking for some support/advice. I had a davinci hysterectomy on 12/6/12. My doctor told me he nicked my bladder but was able to sew it up in the surgery. I would just need to go home with a catheter for 2 weeks. While I was in the hospital I kept having pain and nausea.

Once home I started "leaking" fluid from my vagina. My doctor thought it was just the normal fluid - but I was insistent that it was more. LONG story short - it was urine that had been collecting in a "cesspool" in the cavity that previously held my uterus. I kept complaining that liquid was pouring out of my vagina. After too many tests both with radiology, and the tampon test, etc, I finally had a super expensive Catscan and they found the leak - my right Ureter had been nicked. It had been leaking into my body causing this pooling that resulted in strangling the left ureter from the pressure of the liquid. So this Thursday I went into emergency surgery late to put a stint in both ureters.

Despite the fact that the doctor gave me a 10% chance of it working - he was actually able to get it through. Now here's my question - how much liquid can I expect to still be coming out of me? How will I know when it's new verses just the stuff that's been in there? They didn't remove any of the liquid when I was in surgery (I don't know why not), so he said my body will leak it still as well as absorb part of it. Does anyone have any advice? I did call the doctor and he said it sounds "normal" for what I've been through. I want to know how long I will be filling my depends with this extra liquid?
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Re: Nicked Ureter, still flooding!

I had ureter damage as well, but it wasn't discovered until six weeks after my surgery. I had leakage but didn't realize what it was at first- but I did eventually have the flooding you're talking about.

It took two tries to put the stent in and they discovered the ureter was actually severed. Along the way I got to have a tube placed in my kidney to drain the urine out my back for several days.

After the stent was successfully placed, I had two seperate dye tests in radiology to make sure there was no more leakage. One was five days after the stent placement and one another five days after that. I also had an abdominal drain placed to help remove the liquid in my abdomen.

Perhaps you can ask your doctor about checking to make sure there is no more leakage. If you're leaking a lot I'd be concerned. Urine is not good for your insides.

I get to keep this stent until the beginning of February- then it gets removed and after four weeks they will check to make sure it has healed without scarring or strictures. I am hoping for no more surgeries.

I'm sorry you ended up with two stents- one is bad enough.
Unread 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM

I'm so glad to talk to someone else who has/ is going through this. The unknown is a bit daunting. I'm concerned I'm leaking so much but when I call the on call doctor he said it's normal as it's going to be that way for a while. When they put that in you to drain your abdomen - what did that entail?

About how long do you think you leaked before it stopped all together (once they actually fixed the hole in your ureter)?

They told me the next step was the catheter in my kidney - that sounds horribly painful!

How are you dealing with all of this? I have had some good days and days like today - feeling pretty down about all of this.

Thanks again for responding!!!
Unread 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM

The tube in the kidney is called a nephrostomy tube. when the first attempt to put the stent in failed, they put in the nephrostomy tube so urine would not continue to dump into my abdomen. It actually wasn't too bad, I was awake but they used a local. The worst part waking up and hearing that the stent attempt failed and not really understanding what they were going to do because my brain was still muddled from the anesthesia.

It did kind of freak me out to have this tube coming out my back but I got used to.

Once the kidney tube was in I didn't have any more "flooding" just some drips and drops.

The abdominal drain was put in when they actually put in the stent successfully the second time- took three doctors(radiologist, urologist and gynecologist) but hey they got it in!

I'd ask the doctor exactly how he knows the stent is working.
Unread 12-23-2012, 02:44 PM

Yeah I'm going to. Unfortunately he's on vacation until this next Thursday after Christmas. I'm glad you explained the kidney thing as they said I still might wind up with it if the stint doesn't work.

I know what you are talking about with the anesthesia questions - that's all I wanted to know - if they could get it in. You seem to be in good spirits and have gone through more then me at this point - so I'm going to try to take a deep breathe. It's hard being stuck inside as I can't go anywhere with this flooding. Not to mention it's difficult with a catheter.

One more question (for now) - how long did you see blood in your urine? I have quite a bit.
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:04 PM

I am so sorry for what you are going through. During my surgery they nicked my bladder as well and I have a Foley cath. for 2 weeks. The day after Christmas they are going to do a cystogram? Some type of test with dye to see if my bladder has healed. If so, they can remove the cath the next day. They did not mention anything about a stent. What is that exactly? I did have a rose port? It was removed from my belly before I left the hospital.
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:10 PM

I've had the cystogram - they checked my bladder and it is completely healed at this point. The reason I have a stent is because my ureter was also nicked - it's the long tube that carries urine from the kidneys to the bladder. The stent is a long tube that has been put in the tube so my ureter hole will hopefully heal.

I would have only had the catheter for 2 weeks if it was just that my bladder was nicked - as it healed quickly. The urologist said our bladders are very forgiving and heal quickly. Unfortunately that is not the case for ureters.
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:22 PM

Thank you GraySky for your explanation....How was the cystogram? I am concerned about that test and also the cath. being removed...any words of advice?
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Cystogram didn't hurt at all - it was just a little uncomfortable.

As for the catheter being removed - I've had mine changed out and both the removal and replacement without any medication did not hurt at all. My doctor explained that it stays in there because they fill the end with some saline to expand the ball and make it like a stopper. However they remove all of it when they take it out and put it back in - so it's just a little tube.

I only had a little discomfort for a couple days after with the new one as he filled it a little more then they had in the hospital initially (as at this point they though that my flooding was coming from urine going around the catheter ball).
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:29 PM

I was glad to find out there was a reason I wasn't recovering well and felt so sick. I had lost my appetite and was forcing myself to eat- I lost 15 pounds! I felt horrible and was very uncomfortable.

The urine coming out my back initially was bloody. And I had some blood the the first day in the urine coming out my bladder but that cleared up.

Does your doctor have a partner? Thursday seems a long time to wait if you think you're still collecting urine in your abdomen. That stuff is really bad for your insides.

I ended up having the nephrostomy tube in for about a week and a half. When I went home it was "capped" and not attached to a bag. They just left in for several more days in case the stent stopped working.

In all I spent ten days in the hospital dealing with this so I'm happy to be at home.

I've been told I'll keep the stent until Feb ( about two months total). Then it will be taken out and after three or four weeks a dye test will be done. Hopefully it will heal without any strictures or excessive scarring. The urologist said if he had to he'd send me to somone who could repair scar tissue laparoscopically. The "break" is close to the bladder so he said my bladder wouldn't have to be moved if that type of repair is needed.

I certainly hope I don't need more surgery. Three in two months is more than enough for me already.

I'm trying to be positve but I wish this was all over and I felt healthy. My kidney and my bladder do not like the stent and it is uncomfortable.Thank goodness for medicine for bladder spasms!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.