Adhesion and hernia questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adhesion and hernia questions Adhesion and hernia questions

Unread 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Adhesion and hernia questions

Do adhesions always form? How do you prevent them? How do you know you have them? I've been reading how people are back to running, elliptical, lifting weights etc not even 6 weeks out and cringe thinking that could promote adhesions. And what about hernias? Thanks sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Re: Adhesion and hernia questions

Hi Wanderlust,
From what I know adhesions always form after a surgery or any injury to your body. It's your bodies own defense mechanism. Sometimes they form a lot which makes them give people a pulling and burning sensation, but sometimes your body forms less, and people won't even be bothered by them. I had to have adhesions removed because they did cause me pain and had my bowel and bladder stuck together. I've had hernia's too. My surgeon said it was due to all of my abdominal surgeries, making my abdominal wall weaker. The surgeon told me after my first hernia repair I would be on a lifetime weight restriction of 20lbs. After the second surgery it said I was restricted to only lifting 10lbs. My gyn gave me strict orders of 6-8 weeks taking it easy after my TAH, and no lifting more than a gallon of milk while I was recovering. I don't know about everyone else, but lifting weights after a major surgery, before or right after the 6 weeks is up sounds pretty dangerous to me. How are you doing I see you just had surgery in Dec. I hope your doing well.
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks Lisa,
That's my name too and we are almost neighbors! I'm just south of Jax. Adhesions sound like internal scar tissue. How long after surgery did you know you had adhesions? I've had some weird abdomen pain this week... it's above belly button where the holes were cut...like I've done a hundred crunches. And some sharp stabbing pains in the lower belly. Next follow up is Monday.

I'm feeling better every week but still exhausted. I sit for my job and that is fatiguing! My memory is coming back and since I kept my ovaries, I swear I'm having PMS this week... feel so ignorant that I didn't realize I'd still retain fluid monthly, have insomnia, and have headaches! But the mass of fibroids I had are gone and I am soooo much more comfortable everyday! And the lack of bleeding almost has me giddy!

Thanks for checking in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM

Good Question! I wondered the same thing during my recovery and chose to go easy on myself just in case. I did find an article about them that may be of interest to you - Adhesions.
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM

Thanks Lainey. You are always so helpful. I appreciate your dedication to this site.
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:34 PM

sister!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register