HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

I have questions for after da vinci hysterectomy I have questions for after da vinci hysterectomy

Unread 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM
I have questions for after da vinci hysterectomy

Hello everyone! I am new to this site. My da vinci hysterectomy is scheduled for 2/6/13 and I just have some general questions of what to expect after the surgery. For the specific da vinci hysterectomy, what is the restrictions and how long are those restrictions? Also, I've heard bad things from a traditional hysterectomy about vaginal dryness, no vaginal orgasm, bladder dropping, bowel dropping. Are these risk possible with the da vinci surgery too? I have been thinking about doing the SILS hysterectomy too, anyone have any input on those? I would just like to hear from others who've had this procedure and how its impacted their lives.
Thanks
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Re: I have questions for after da vinci hysterectomy

Hi, I'm ony two weeks post-op from a Da Vinci and my doctor said that I was cleared for everything after two weeks. I'm finding that to be wildly ambitious- at least for me - as I still feel tender, sore and tired at times throughout the day. I wasn't exercising much before surgery, am slightly overweight, and 42 years old, so perhaps I would be feeling more back to normal if those things had been different. If I had a desk job and absolutely had to go back to work at this point, I might barely be able to manage it. I'm walking for about 20 min twice a day and moving around fairly normally, though with caution. I haven't done any housework yet (so grateful to my mom for being willing to care for me during recovery) but I could probably make simple dinners and fold some laundry. I did leave the house a couple of times for short errands and came back tired.

Unfortunatley, I'm not sure about the other issues you mention. I kept my cervix to help reduce the chance of prolapse years down the road, and my doctor did say that with keeping my cervix sex would feel the same - no firsthand info on that yet!

Good luck!
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM

I had a Davinci three years ago. For me, I had restrictions on lifting for two weeks at first but then had to increase that to about three months. I went to the hospital after the first month. I pushed myself way too much and ended up in big trouble. My biggest advice to you is to listen to your body and not to the doc saying that you are able to do whatever you want to. My doc was a tad too lenient on this I think. Listen to your body and let yourself heal at your own time.
As for the prolapse issues, any surgery like this can cause problems with this. It is more that you don't have that support there any more. So it really is a matter of anatomy and there is always a risk. I haven't had any problems so I really don't worry about it.
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLS View Post
Hi, I'm ony two weeks post-op from a Da Vinci and my doctor said that I was cleared for everything after two weeks. I'm finding that to be wildly ambitious- at least for me - as I still feel tender, sore and tired at times throughout the day. I wasn't exercising much before surgery, am slightly overweight, and 42 years old, so perhaps I would be feeling more back to normal if those things had been different. If I had a desk job and absolutely had to go back to work at this point, I might barely be able to manage it. I'm walking for about 20 min twice a day and moving around fairly normally, though with caution. I haven't done any housework yet (so grateful to my mom for being willing to care for me during recovery) but I could probably make simple dinners and fold some laundry. I did leave the house a couple of times for short errands and came back tired.

Unfortunatley, I'm not sure about the other issues you mention. I kept my cervix to help reduce the chance of prolapse years down the road, and my doctor did say that with keeping my cervix sex would feel the same - no firsthand info on that yet!

Good luck!
Thank you for your information. I am hoping that everything works out well too. It's really comforting to hear other stories and know that I'm not alone in this. I just want to do what's best for my body. I go for pre ops tomorrow and I have a list of questions for my dr. Thanks again :-) blessings!
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenyatta5 View Post
I had a Davinci three years ago. For me, I had restrictions on lifting for two weeks at first but then had to increase that to about three months. I went to the hospital after the first month. I pushed myself way too much and ended up in big trouble. My biggest advice to you is to listen to your body and not to the doc saying that you are able to do whatever you want to. My doc was a tad too lenient on this I think. Listen to your body and let yourself heal at your own time.
As for the prolapse issues, any surgery like this can cause problems with this. It is more that you don't have that support there any more. So it really is a matter of anatomy and there is always a risk. I haven't had any problems so I really don't worry about it.
Thanks for the info, I will only have help with my five year old and my dog for two weeks. I was just wondering how quick I could get back to normal house work. My hubby is deployed and my mom can only take off two weeks to help out. I might have to wait until hubby gets home before this can happen but I have a dr appt tomorrow so I will find out soon.
Thank you! Blessings!!!
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:39 PM

davinci help

I was off work for 6 weeks went back part-time for 2 weeks. I was a slow healer so ultimately return to intimacy was closer to 12 weeks.

I had lifting and bending restictions for severral weeks. My dr warned me that it can take 6 to 12 months to feel normal again and he was right.

The dryness comes more with the removal of the ovaries (oopherectomy which is a separate procedure from the hysterectomy) than the removal of the uterus. Even if you keep your ovaries the blood supply can be affected and go into shock or shutdown.

I never had vaginal contractions but did have uterine ones and those are gone. All women have the possibility of prolapses but not everyone gets them. These things are risks for all surgeries regardless of how they are done. The vagina (vaginal vault) is usually supported with the same ligaments that supported the uterus to prevent prolapses.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Unread 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM

I had my DvH on January 9th, but it was my second DV surgery. After having a laparoscopic procedure done to remove an ovarian cysts, I thought the DV was so much better. I was practically pain free from the 2nd or 3rd day after my first DV surgery vs. almost 2 weeks from the laparoscopic procedure. The hysterectomy healing is taking a little longer, I feel, but its most likely because it was a more extensive, major surgery. Also, I was off pain meds, including ibuprofen, by post op day 4.
I was doing light housework...rinsing dishes, loading/emptying the dishwasher, folding & putting away clothes, packing lunches, etc. around post op day 5-6 and was cleared to drive at week 2. However, I still have not been cleared to lift anything over 10 lbs, push or pull things, take a bath, exercise or have sex. I know my hubby was/is so supportive and I wouldn't be able to do it without him, especially the first week and a half. I have been a lot more independent the 3rd week post op and feel like I can do most of what NEEDS to get done, taking breaks when needed.
Hope that helps a little! Best of luck.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.