HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can't pee after TVT! Can't pee after TVT!

Unread 02-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Can't pee after TVT!

I had TVT surgery last Wednesday. After surgery, I was not able to void, was unable to self-cath, and the recovery nurses were unable to cath me either. They had to call someone down from another unit to put in a foley catheter, that I went home with for two days. I went in on Friday, they took out the foley and after 2 hours I still could not void. I was no longer bleeding like I had been immediately post op, so they taught me to self catheterize. They said a day or two, I would be peeing on my own. I still can't even pass a drop I have mastered placing the catheter in, but I am starting to feel really abnormal that I am not following the standard recovery path. Has anyone else had a TVT and also had an extended period of time to recover that required this long of self-cathing? At first I tried to remain light hearted, saying "Well, before I just peed all the time, now, I can't pee at all". At what point should I start to become more worried than I am and go back in to have it checked? Waiting until the 6 week post-op check seems a bit long for this issue....
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Re: Can't pee after TVT!

Alicat,
Hi sorry to hear you're not doing well post op. I'm sending you a big hug! Maybe you should put a call in to your dr? I don't know if it's normal or not. It's better to just call anyway, so if something isn't right he/she can diagnose and fix it. Good luck to you!!!
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:08 PM

Hi AliCat5683 and

It is not unheard of to have difficulty voiding after bladder surgery. I had my urethra repaired 9 years ago and had to go home for 1.5 weeks with a foley because I just could not pee! Give yourself some time, put your feet up to ease the swelling, try some ice packs down below and have faith that you will eventually be able to void on your own.

Does your doctor have a plan for you to come back to his office soon to see if you can void? Are they having you keep track of how much urine you are getting out?

I would also be very, very aware of any UTI symptoms and be careful not to irritate your urethra while cathing. Make sure you use plenty of lubricant.

Unread 02-06-2013, 09:16 PM

Thanks, ladies!!!! I lucked on to this web site while trying to google normal recovery times. I have started to void small amounts. I was foolish, and listened to the community nurse who said I needed to cut way back on my fluid intake. I have suffered frequent recurring bladder and kidney infections since I was 14, but especially badly since I was 28. I told her I didn't feel it was a good idea for me to cut back on my fluid intake, as my family doctor and the urologist that treated me for pylonephritis for 4 straight months during pregnancy said to keep my fluid intake maximized (that I have now trained myself to do...). I cut back on the fluids, as instructed, two days ago. Today? I have a bladder infection and pylonephritis again, grrrrrrr! So back to maximizing the fluids. I am able to pass about 1/3 of what is there on my own, but it almost seems like a spasm that stops the flow on my own and I end up cathing the rest. Today was basically a wash, as it just hurt too much to try and pass on my own, but I will get back at it tomorrow

Thanks for all of your support and help
Ali.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.