HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

bleeding months after bilateral salpingo oophorectomy bleeding months after bilateral salpingo oophorectomy

Unread 02-10-2013, 03:32 PM
bleeding months after bilateral salpingo oophorectomy

Hi Ladies,
I had a bilateral salpingo oophorectomy in mid Sept. 2012. There was a non cancerous mass on my right ovary that had been monitored for 3 years with out change. When the mass double in size at my 6month ultrasound (Aug 2012) my doc & I decided the mass needed to go.
Had surgery laporoscoply, no robot. Once inside the abdomen surgeon determined mass was endo growth, wrapped around both right & left ovaries and fallopian tubes-so these along with all the endo growths were removed.
My uterus was left intact.
I had a good recovery with no complications.

I started spotting in mid to late Jan. It acted like a normal period for me, just no cramping. I saw my surgeon who did a cervical biopsy (clear results) and an ultrasound of my uterus, which looked clean, clear and perfectly shaped.
I started taking 10mg of progesterone 2/day for 1 week. Which stopped the bleeding. At the start of the 2nd week I went down to 10mg progesterone 1/day and the bleeding is back and bright red. It's not "Heavy". Just impossible to ignore and i'm exhausted worrying about it.
I've also completed a pap and should have results this coming week.
Has anyone else had this experience?
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Re: bleeding months after bilateral salpingo oophorectomy

Hi siege:

Did you get the test results back this week? I hope you have been able to get some answers.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:22 PM

HI Twysmiling,
I did get my pap results and all was "Normal". The bleeding is down, but I've still got 3 days left of the progesterone, so we'll see what happens after that.
The Doc is taking a wait and see attitude since all my tests are clear so far, but honestly, I'm so tired of this not knowing. My poor spouse must think I'm a raging lunatic!
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:33 AM

I went through and am still going through the same thing. I am on 300mg progesterone every day. I've had so many tests its unreal. All my tests have come back clean and clear, no abnormalities. I have my tubes and ovaries and everything else. I have had years of pain. After all these clean tests, my dr said she suspects adenomyosis and I am scheduled for a total hysterectomy and a bilateral salpingo oophorectomy in march 4th. I know how you feel and I'm sorry you're going through all this.
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:34 AM

Hi Christinaotto,
I'm so sorry. It sounds like you've been put through the wringer. I really can imagine how you manage 300mg of pg a day. I feel out of balance with 10!
Good luck with your surgery! I hope it is the answer for you.
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:37 AM

With that much pg, I started looking into side effects. I guess the normal amount is 10 mg. every joint in my body hurts. My lower back and hips are the worst. It has mad my joints extremely loose. I can sit in the tub and lean to one side and feel my hips slide back in to place. I called the dr over it and she said its normal and to go to a chiropractor. I can't go to one because I have bilateral spinal and foraminal stenosis of c4-5. If the chiropractor cracks my neck then I'd be in more pain than I usually am. I'm hoping that after surgery, she drops me down to a manageable dose. I appreciate your kind words.
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:13 AM

Hi ladies,
The same thing is happening to me.....I had surgery Sept 20/2013, I had both ovaries and tubes taken out plus a 10cm benign tumor. They left my uterus. I've had 3 full heavy periods since then. About 3 weeks ago I started on 100mg of prometrium at night, 2 days later full period! I've stopped now for 2 weeks just took one last night full period this morning! I had my fsh tested and it's at the level of a woman who has both ovaries, I'm no where near menopause. The doc thinks maybe a fragment of ovary was left in......not sure what to do at this point my estrogen is high and my progesterone is low and so is my testosterone........that's why they put me on prometrium. But every time I take it I start bleeding.......maybe I shout take any hormones??? I'm so confused!
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM

Following this thread...
I too had a bilateral oophorectomy in September 2013 keeping my uterus/cervix. My surgery ended up abdominal when it was discovered my cysts had attached to multiple areas of my intestines. I had a period immediately following surgery and another exactly a month later which was the most normal period I had ever had. There has been nothing since until recently where I've had very light spotting periodically over the last 2 weeks.

My step daughter accidentally kicked me in the abdomen while play wrestling with her dad. Even though the spotting started a week later I figured it was related to that. Now that it's two weeks later, I am noticing that when my husband and I have sex the spotting is darker. I've also been having pains on the right side of my abdomen. I am not on any meds and have had a pretty easy experience healing. So I don't know what could be going on.

One additional thing that my husband and I noticed which may or may not be related... While we do notice that things are dryer in the vaginal area (which we expected) it's also much tighter even with the aid of lubricants. It's only been like this the past few weeks as well which is why I am wondering if it's related to the spotting & pain I've been experiencing.
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJNezzy View Post
Following this thread...
I too had a bilateral oophorectomy in September 2013 keeping my uterus/cervix. My surgery ended up abdominal when it was discovered my cysts had attached to multiple areas of my intestines. I had a period immediately following surgery and another exactly a month later which was the most normal period I had ever had. Now it's February and I've had very light spotting periodically over the last 2 weeks.

My step daughter accidentally kicked me in the abdomen while play wrestling with her dad. Even though the spotting started a week later I figured it was related to that. Now it's two weeks later, when my husband and I have sex the spotting is darker. I've also been having pains on the right side of my abdomen. I am not on any meds and have had a pretty easy experience healing. So I don't know what could be going on.
Hi, I finally received some answers for by bleeding issues I was having. My Gyno has left a fragment of ovary in, I have so much scar tissue that I guess he missed a piece. Mine was done laperoscopy so that might also have something to do with it. I have had 2 opinions and the doctors feel it's best that I insert an IUD, this will control the bleeding and give me some progesterone which I'm low on. I'm waiting to have it inserted, they want me to have a period as its easier to insert. Go figure Ive been having periods every 10 min and now that I want one it won't come! Lol So I'm hoping that this will help. You should have your FSH tested, mine us 8.1 nowhere near menopause, that's how they knew they left a piece in. You shouldn't have any bleeding after having your ovaries removed...keep me posted and let me know if they find anything out!
Take Care, I hope you find some answers soon
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi0 View Post
Hi, I finally received some answers for by bleeding issues I was having. My Gyno has left a fragment of ovary in, I have so much scar tissue that I guess he missed a piece. You should have your FSH tested, mine us 8.1 nowhere near menopause. You shouldn't have any bleeding after having your ovaries removed...keep me posted and let me know if they find anything out!
Take Care, I hope you find some answers soon
Thank you so much for your reply. I will certainly ask my doc about that.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.