HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Vivelle Dot once per week--Has anyone tried it? Vivelle Dot once per week--Has anyone tried it?

Unread 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Vivelle Dot once per week--Has anyone tried it?

Since my surgery 3/2010, I have gained a lot of weight. Other than that and increased breast size, the hormones are working for me. I went for my yearly on yesterday and my doctor said I could try changing the dot once every five days. Currently, I am on .0375. Originally, I was on Estradiol then the generic patch and now Vivelle. Has anyone used the dot once a week with success?
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Re: Vivelle Dot once per week--Has anyone tried it?

The patch is made to be changed every 3-1/2 days, I would think if you went a week you would experience symptoms when the patch runs out due to fluctuating hormone levels.

Did your doctor check your thyroid?

Unread 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim M View Post

The patch is made to be changed every 3-1/2 days, I would think if you went a week you would experience symptoms when the patch runs out due to fluctuating hormone levels.

Did your doctor check your thyroid?

Yes, everything including my thyroid is normal.
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marie View Post
Since my surgery 3/2010, I have gained a lot of weight. Other than that and increased breast size, the hormones are working for me. I went for my yearly on yesterday and my doctor said I could try changing the dot once every five days. Currently, I am on .0375. Originally, I was on Estradiol then the generic patch and now Vivelle. Has anyone used the dot once a week with success?
I don't see how changing your patch less often would help prevent weight gain. You already are on a very low dose. You run the risk of hot flashes, moodiness, not to mention bone loss if your estrogen level drops too low.

Before my surgery, I was overweight, in perimenopause and my estrogen level was very low. My doctor started me on the .1mg Vivelle dot patch in the recovery room. After I recovered from surgery, I started exercising and carefully watching my diet (tracking calories and nutrients) and lost 55 lbs. over the course of a year. For me, increasing my estrogen level actually helped me to lose weight and the extra fat, especially around my waist and abdomen.
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBirds View Post
I don't see how changing your patch less often would help prevent weight gain. You already are on a very low dose. You run the risk of hot flashes, moodiness, not to mention bone loss if your estrogen level drops too low.

Before my surgery, I was overweight, in perimenopause and my estrogen level was very low. My doctor started me on the .1mg Vivelle dot patch in the recovery room. After I recovered from surgery, I started exercising and carefully watching my diet (tracking calories and nutrients) and lost 55 lbs. over the course of a year. For me, increasing my estrogen level actually helped me to lose weight and the extra fat, especially around my waist and abdomen.
Okay thank you. You made some valid points. I will stay being more conscientious of my caloric and food intake.
Unread 02-17-2013, 03:44 AM

There is quite a few free apps or websites for that. My favorite is my fitness pal and it is so easy to use. I can't wait until I am able to start exercising again. It is a great way to relieve stress and anxiety. Best of luck to you.
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:38 AM

It took me 4 yrs after my surgery to finally get to where the weight would come off.
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowhills View Post
It took me 4 yrs after my surgery to finally get to where the weight would come off.
Yikes! My doctor did say it could take time got my body to adjust with the hormones.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway