HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Did you have a Nerve Block instead of General Anesthesia? Did you have a Nerve Block instead of General Anesthesia?

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Did you have a Nerve Block instead of General Anesthesia?

Hello... 9 days before my SAH. I really need to hear from folks who chose a nerve block or similar instead of General Anesthesia. I have searched for this subject several times and haven't found much. Also there are no discussion areas that I know of devoted to it. Thank you in advance!
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Re: Did you have a Nerve Block instead of General Anesthesia?

Oh.. now that I posted.. lots of similar ones are listed for me.
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:11 PM

Hi I hate to misinformation you so I think the question to that answer would be best if you ask at your doctors office. You need to find out options,risks, and express what you feel so they can guide you to the best decision. The reason I say this is because everyone's body reacts different. Best wishes.
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Thank-you for the quick answer. I have discussed with the anesthesia manager and will have pre-op this week. But was just wanting to hear from folks who like me who would rather not have GA if possible... I really thought this was a good place to get some insight from those who have gone this route.
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM

Hi again. This is a good site,although I have not had that experience so hopefully someone else maybe will give you a good response. Good luck and wish you a successful recovery. Blessings.
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:59 PM

I had an epidural and general anesthetic. My anesthesiologist recommended that for me, because she said she could use less anesthetic that way and I would wake up quicker. I liked that idea. I would do it this way again in a heart beat.

Unread 02-17-2013, 10:56 PM

Thank-you for sharing your experience. It helps. I will ask about that at my pre-op.
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:16 PM

Just go to sleep it is really easy and that is coming from someone that is really afraid of going to sleep. I do not think they will do just a nerve block becuse if you are having a Laproscopy procedure they fill your abdomin up with a gas to inflate everything so they can see. Also they put in upside down almost called the Trellenberg positon. The gas and this position is very hard on you and painful. Just go to sleep it is so easy. If you are nervous as for some Versed in the beginning and you won't care about a thing. Good luck
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:33 AM
delete this post.

nothing here.
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uterinewarrior View Post
Epidural-spinal nerveblock with prophanol.
Just realized that I didn't report back about this subject after the SAH. The anesthetic decision was a big deal for me, so I hope my experience will be of some help/comfort to someone. After discussing with a friend who has had 4 surgeries in the past 3 years, my doctor and the anesthesiologist, we went with the nerve block and epidural plus prophanol (sp?) to sedate me. It was the BEST decision I made (for me). I woke up with no brain fog. Docs immediately answered my questions --- All went as I had hoped (kept cervix and ovaries and no cancer anywhere and the 17 week sized uterus was a little bit of a wrestle to get out). I felt great.
Within a couple of hours I was visiting quite comfortably with a room full of family and friends -- "my circle of love". I was petrified and having loved ones there was VERY comforting. They kept me in the hospital for 2 nights (until I ate, pooped and peed). I was on lots of pain meds in the hosp. They usually leave the epidural in for a while, but since I have had a blood clot (DVT) they took it out the next morning after weaning off of it and onto oxycodone. The hardest part for me was after coming home. Although my sweetie is a WONDERFUL caregiver, he was not the nurse. I missed her the first 2 nights at home and think it would have been better to have stayed a third night in the hosp. Then -- as many of you know-- recovery from abdominal surgery can be a bear. And it has been for me. I am now 5 weeks out and feeling much better, but still using IBU plus Tylenol for pain around my incision (the incision is FINE.. my doc said the best surface healing she has seen at week 3. I think it is because I have been drinking lots of Emergen-C since long before the hyst). The IBU doesn't kick the pain like it did cramps in the pre-hyst days. So I don't know what that's about. I guess it means that the pain is not from inflammation. The pain is not unbearable, but does get to be a little too much sometimes. Slowly getting to be less and less I think. So this is rather long winded, but maybe it will be of some help to someone.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway