HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Estrace cream Estrace cream

Unread 02-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Estrace cream

Hi sisters: My doc just gave me a prescription for estrace vaginal cream. I know it's intended to treat vaginal dryness. As I'm not currently taking estrogen in any other form, will the vaginal cream provide all the the benefits of estrogen replacement therapy? Or do I need to take it in oral or patch form in addition?

Thanks!

WhirlGirl
LAVH/BSO 12/28/01 for fibroids, cysts and severe endo
Unread 02-16-2002, 09:00 PM
Estrace cream

Hi Whirlgirl For the most part vaginal estrogen is not systemic. Meaning the benefits will pretty much stay in the vaginal area. I'm afraid for hot flash, heart disease and bone health your gonna need some regular HRT in addition to the vaginal. Drag huh Who knew it was going to be so complicated S
Unread 02-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Thanks!

BrendaLee:

Thanks for the info. That's what I figured. I'm trying to come up with a way to "sneak in" the benefits of estrogen without incurring any of the risks (in particular, endo recurrence) and thought this might be the way to do it. My doc is great, but she doesn't quite believe that endo can recur after the ovaries are removed, so the whole hormone therapy thing is an ongoing negotiation.

Many thanks.
WhirlGirl
Unread 02-17-2002, 01:51 PM
Estrace cream

Your welcome Just wanted to add that I too had endo and have been on HRT since last march with no reoccurance. I have my hormones compounded and have done both the oral and transdermal route. I can tell you that I get more of my hormone from the transdermal route than I did with the oral capsules. Just a tidbit of info to try and help with your decision S
Unread 02-17-2002, 05:21 PM
Estrace cream

I use estrace vaginal twice a week or more if I want. but I don't think its meant to br a total estogyn treatment, at least not in my case. maybe if you still have ovaries? I take estrace .5 daily but I might be older than you, I think the younger gals might need more from what I've read here. Or I could be wrong!!!!
I like the estrace vaginal cream, my Dr said if I don't feel the need to insert it to apply it to the external vaginal tissue which is basically what I do. I don't think it delivers much estogyn to your total systym but it is good for the vaginal area, my opinion only
Unread 02-17-2002, 05:36 PM
Estrace cream

I agree with Brenda on the transdermal, I really liked my Vivelle Dot but have no script insurance so I went back to the generitc
estrace pills, I'm 2 years out so I don't think I'm so " needy"
like the new gals on HRT, I' m okay with the pills now but I think the
longer out you are the more tolerant you are. I think the dots were good for me. but I'm doing okay on the pills, given my choice I'd rather do the dot, but its 37.00 a month compared to 9.00 for a 6 month supply of the pills. I think the Vivelle Dot
was great, but to expensive if you have no insurance, or if
money is no problem, its great, or it was for me in my early recovery. My opinion only

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway