HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

No hospital stay after Da Vinci? No hospital stay after Da Vinci?

Unread 02-23-2013, 07:20 PM
No hospital stay after Da Vinci?

I had my hysterectomy in July 2011. I was scheduled to be in the hospital for one night and ended up being there for 3 nights - partly due to the fact that my hysterectomy ended up being an abdominal due to a large uterus.

I know that most of you are out the next day.

My SIL had her DaVinci hysterectomy yesterday. The doctor was planning on releasing her shortly after she got out of recovery, but it would have been almost midnight, so she stayed overnight. Her doctor released her around 9 AM this morning.

The woman who had a DvH before her was released to go home around 8 PM that night. She got out of surgery somewhere around 3 PM.

I am amazed that her surgery ended up being essentially an out-patient procedure. How common is this? Did you not spend any time at all in a regular hospital room? Have you heard of women going home so soon?

I would not have felt comfortable being released so quickly. I still had a catheter for quite a while after surgery and then when it was removed I couldn't pee so they had to put it back in. Then I ended up nauseous and vomiting on the day before I was finally released.

I know everyone is different, but I find it amazing that they are just released right after their surgery.
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM
No hospital stay after Da Vinci?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntsunflower View Post
I had my hysterectomy in July 2011. I was scheduled to be in the hospital for one night and ended up being there for 3 nights - partly due to the fact that my hysterectomy ended up being an abdominal due to a large uterus.

My SIL had her DaVinci hysterectomy yesterday. The doctor was planning on releasing her shortly after she got out of recovery, but it would have been almost midnight, so she stayed overnight. Her doctor released her around 9 AM this morning.

The woman who had a DvH before her was released to go home around 8 PM that night. She got out of surgery somewhere around 3 PM.

I am amazed that her surgery ended up being essentially an out-patient procedure. How common is this? Did you not spend any time at all in a regular hospital room? Have you heard of women going home so soon?

I would not have felt comfortable being released so quickly. I still had a catheter for quite a while after surgery and then when it was removed I couldn't pee so they had to put it back in. Then I ended up nauseous and vomiting on the day before I was finally released.

I know everyone is different, but I find it amazing that they are just released right after their surgery.
My surgery was at about 9am, 3 hours long and I was released at 5pm. No complications. Went home with ibuprofen and was at work 3 days later. I'm very lucky when it comes to surgeries and heal pretty quick, but even this one surprised me. Guess you never know.
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Re: No hospital stay after Da Vinci?

I was only in overnight because it was around 3am when I could eat, pee and move around to the satisfaction of the staff. My surgery was over at about 2:30 pm and I was home in my own bed by noon the next day (I was actually discharged at about 10 but had to wait on my prescriptions and the last few ounces of IV fluid)

I had a totally textbook procedure with absolutely zero complication or difficulty either during the operation or in post op, so there was really no need for me to hang around once I was mobile and hydrated.
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedeminardi View Post
My surgery was at about 9am, 3 hours long and I was released at 5pm. No complications. Went home with ibuprofen and was at work 3 days later. I'm very lucky when it comes to surgeries and heal pretty quick, but even this one surprised me. Guess you never know.
Wow. That's just crazy! I guess you do never know! :0)
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM

I was in and out in under twelve hours. Surgery at 7:30am, done by 10:30am, no catheter when I woke up, started eating and drinking immediately, but I did have a hard time peeing. Home by 7pm, but I had my mom there to do everything for me. I was glad to be in my own bed, but it did feel a little pressured to pee and walk a bit so they could get me out of there.
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:39 AM

They kept me over night w/ a catheter, it was the worst. Darn thing wouldn't drain unless I stood. I made the night nurse take it out at 3am, what relief. My dr said MANY go home the at day but she likes her patients to stay the night as a safety precaution and in case the need the 'good drugs' as she put it. I was showered and ready to go home by 9am. She called me her all-star patient..lol No place like home!
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntsunflower View Post

I went in the hospital at 9 a.m. on Friday and was released at 10a.m. on Sat. I only took 3 hydro pain pills the day I came home. After that, all I took was the Motrin 800 for a few days. I told my gyn, I was his "poster child" for DvH. I've had some back/hip pain since then but it's not related to my DvH.
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:12 PM

I had total at 9:30 out of surgery at 1 pm. Spent the afternoon in an area they called In and Out, but I did have a room. It took several hours to get my pain under control and at around 3am I was up and walking. Surgeon stopped to see me at 6:30 and said I could go home. I would have liked to stay because my insurance would have covered everything for an inpatient stay.
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:12 PM

My surgery was at 7:30 am, woke up in recovery up at 11:45 and was taken to my room. My doctor came by to see me at 8:30 ish the next morning and I was discharged. I had to wait on the paperwork so we left the hospital at 9:30 and was home in bed at 10:00. They kept me overnight to be sure I could pee and take my meds orally.
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM

Wow! Im amazed at how quickly you all were let out. I went in for 7:30am surgery and went home the next day after 6pm. My doctor always has her patients stay overnight as a safety precaution. I too had a catheter, but it wasnt uncomfortable, but it still wasnt taken out till the next morning. I was up walking by 3:30 that same day of surgery and walked about 5 more times before I left. The nursing staff needed to make sure I could keep down 2 meals, pee and have gurgling sounds in my bowels before I was allowed to leave. It would amaze me that anyones bowels would awaken that quickly from the anesthetic. But that just shows how different we all are. We all need to remember this is not a race, we all win when we recover successfully no matter how much time it takes

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.