HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Low-grade fever after surgery Low-grade fever after surgery

Unread 02-17-2002, 09:30 PM
Low-grade fever after surgery

Has any one run a low grade fever off and on for 6 dyas after surgery?? Tomorrow will be 1 week since my hysterectomy. I had everything including my ovaries removed. I continue to run a 99 - 100.9 temp off and on...just wondering how normal this is. The nurses at the hospital said it was to be expected for the first couple of days after major surgery...I'm a little worried now because it has continued almost a week.
Unread 02-17-2002, 10:13 PM

I had a fever, usually around 99.5 - 100, for about 4 days post-op. However, I'd give your doctor a call - I don't know if 6 days is too long or not, but always better to be safe than sorry!

Heidi
Unread 02-17-2002, 10:16 PM

I didn't have a fever right after, but a few weeks later I did and it turned out to be an infection. Six days seems like a long time to have a fever. You should call your doctor.

Kathy
Unread 02-17-2002, 10:47 PM
low grade

Hi,
I had a low grade fever that started about 3 weeks post-op. Turned out to be a bladder infection later. Then I had bladder infection symptoms, but no infection. Urologist put me on meds for about 2+ months. I have been fine since then. I think that the bladder can be "traumatized" by the hyst, and it takes some adjusting time for everything to get back to normal.
Good luck!
I would call your doctor if the low grade fever persists.
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:16 AM

Hi Jrbret!

When I was discharged from the castle, one of my discharge instructions was to call the Dr. if I had a fever greater than 100 degrees.

Since it has been almost a full week that you are running a temperature and at times it has been almost 101, I think you should definitely call your Dr. Your Dr. should be the one to decide if you need to be seen or if there is reason for concern.

Also, don't forget to lots of fluids.

Best wishes and s
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:26 AM

Hi There!

I ran low-grade cyclic fevers at first, as well as a few weeks after my surgery. My instructions also said to report any fever over 101.5 and when I did, the nurse told me I was okay, since Tylenol would help lower my temp. But as much as I've read about those who had fevers and found out there was infection, I agree that you are smart to keep track of your temps and call the DR to report them.

Take it easy, get lots of rest - so early into your recovery - drink lots and lots of water, and pamper the princess.

I hope your fevers do subside, sweetie, and that you start to feel better and better each day.

(((((((Hugs)))))))
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:48 AM
low grade fevers

I also had post op instructions stating if my fever got over 101 to call the Dr or postop nurse. I was also told it is normal to spike a low grade temp in the evenings the first week postop. I did get low grade temps in the castle and the first few nights home.

Be sure to talk to your Dr about this if it goes on to long or gets to high. Also if you find your not breaking your fever with OTC meds such as (tylenol). Drinking lots of water also helps keep the temp down (nurse informed me in the castle about this).

Take care and be well
Unread 02-25-2002, 06:03 PM

I ran a low grade fever(99.9-102) from the day of my surgery until about day10 post op. The Dr. sent me home on antibiotics for about 2 weeks. Thank goodness nothing came of it!!!

AMallory
Unread 02-25-2002, 06:29 PM
fever

Thanks for your reply...it is day 14 and I still have a fever...I am beginning to wonder if it is menopausal! What antibiotic did you take?

Thanks! Julie
Unread 02-26-2002, 07:48 AM
fever

jrbret
I also ran a low grade fever right after surgery--I had lots of repair work done so was placed on IV antibiotics then oral meds when released from the castle. I am now 4 weeks post and have again starting running a low grade fever with pain in my left side--saw my urologist yesterday and I have a kidney infection--so back on antibiotics and a urine culture results pending. I with everyone else call your
s
Peggy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.