HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

stage 1A grade 1 endometrial cancer stage 1A grade 1 endometrial cancer

Unread 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM
stage 1A grade 1 endometrial cancer

Hi. I am new to this site. I was diagnosed 1//3/13 and had my hysterectomy on 1/22/13 by DeVinci Robot. Amazing how great I feel after this surgery except for the first week and the gas! Everything came back negative with the exception of the pelvic washings. My doctor is suggesting Chemo due to the pelvic washings and the size of my tumor (7.5cm). I am 50 years old in relatively good health. All the "books" state chemo is not necessary only radiation. I don't like the idea of chemo in my body and all the nasty side effects. I am in the process of obtaining a second opionion before I make my decision. I would like to hear from others who were staged low and what their course of treatment was after surgery. Thanks
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Re: stage 1A grade 1 endometrial cancer

So sorry for your diagnosis. Glad you came through things well and with a good attitude. My circumstances were slightly different so I can't help you with your decision except to say that you are wise to get a second opinion. Make a list of questions so you have a clear picture of why one treatment is recommended over another.....then make an informed decision from the choices. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:16 AM

I did not have the same situation, but that sounds like a large tumor. Was there still less than 50% invasion into the myometrium? And I thought a positive wash bumped up the stage, but obviously I'm not an expert. I think I'd ask for a tumor board to review the case and get their rationale. If that's impossible I'd at least get another opinion so you can make a better decision. Sorry you are having to deal with this at all.
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:18 PM

Bugg6162, I'm so sorry to hear you have a cancer diagnosis. The silver lining is that with a Stage 1a, Grade 1 pathology report, your chances are good to eradicate it completely.

My stage and grade were the same as yours, and I also had a positive pelvic wash. The tumor was 6 cm, but less than halfway through the myometrium and therefore was Stage 1a.

My doctors did not advise chemo but recommended internal radiation treatments. My case was reviewed by the surgeon, the radiation oncologist, and the head of our cancer center and the radiation was their consensus. It was offered to me as an option which I decided to go ahead and do.

I second the suggestions to get another opinion. When you're faced with these situations, you need all the information you can get to make you comfortable with the treatment choices you make.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:24 PM

first of all Im sorry to hear youre dealing with this beast

it sure is a scary time in our lives-

I had the same grade and stage as you however I never thought to ask how big the tumor was--I have it on my list for my next follow up

I was very lucky though and surgery was the cure--and alot of follow ups for 5 yrs ( I sure dont want to make any of feel worse that Im bragging that is not my intention that I only needed surgery while some of you need chemo and radiation-I feel very forunate thats all I needed

please though get that second opinion youll be able to make a better decision and feel better (I use the word lightly) about your decision

please let us know how things are going
take care and my thoughts are with you
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:44 PM

I had a different type of cancer, but I wanted to send some hugs and say we're glad you found us!

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM

Hi Bugg...I am new to the site and still waiting for a diagnosis but wanted to send you my best wishes for a complete recovery and I would always suggest a second opinion.
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Hey Sister...My thread is called My Journey with clear cell Uterus cancer..I too had positive wash with no pentration of uterus. Different cancer tho. After all options are giving..Follow Your Instincts. Good Luck gurl and positive thoughts go out to you..
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:03 AM

Hi (((Sweetie,)))

I am sorry you are dealing with a cancer dx which is scary and it can be very confusing deciding which course of action is best. As you see you have lots of company so pls ask away as questions may come to you. If you have any doubts, you are very wise to seek a second opinion re whether to have chemo or further treatment.

I had a 1B dx after surgery for endometrial cancer; neither chemo nor radiation were suggested. Each case of course is different and I suspect size, location, etc. all factor in as each doctor make the best choice for his patient. I hope you get a better idea which route to take after you discuss your situation with the second opinion doctor. Pls keep us posted and good luck.

Unread 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM

Hi Bugg...

I guess all our Dr's and symptoms are slightly different.
My diagnosis is in my signature.

I was told this...BECAUSE I'M 72...and even tho they felt the cancer was ''gone'' after surgery...they never know for sure if somehow it has entered the blood stream...my little tumor was tiny...but had gone past half way into the uterine lining. So...I was given choices.
No treatments and lots of follow ups.
Brachytherapy and lots of follow ups.
Chemo and lots of follow ups.
3 Brachy/3 Chemos and lots of follow ups.

Because of my age (I'm really tired of them referring to my age)....and because of the FEAR in the faces of my family...I chose the treatments. I've finished the radiation, and have finished 1 Chemo..2 to go. The Chemo didn't seem to give much trouble this past week....I had a pill for nausea so had none...but the shot they gave me the day after..to build white blood cells made me sick......achy bones...REAL achy bones for 3 days...and now I'm tired beyond tired and I really have no appetite....

I am going to loose my hair...after the next treatment....

All in the name of prevention of recurrence.....

We all have to do what we feel is right for us...maybe I'm a guinea pig? I don't know. But if it cures me from recurrence and helps another woman, that might be my whole purpose in life. No one knows.

Big prayers and hugs for peace of mind...which is what we all really need the most.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.