HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Lifting... (Trigger) sorry but I need advice. Lifting... (Trigger) sorry but I need advice.

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Lifting... (Trigger) sorry but I need advice.

Okay... So I'm 6days post op and I'm utterly depressed. I have kids, my youngest is 3months old and not being able to hold him is killing me. I'm a single mom too... So it's been tough.
My mom has been either spending the night here at my home or taking him to her house overnight to help me/us. My other Kiddoz are old enough to care for themselves so that hasn't been any different except the part of me not being able to go out with them.

So... Again I am sorry for the mention of my kids. I don't mean to upset anyone. So please forgive me for this post.
Baby is about 13-15lbs... He is my miracle baby and also the reason all my issues came to light so thanks to him we caught my problems before it was too late.

I WANNA HOLD MY BABY

I don't know how much longer I can stand not holding him. I miss him dearly. I cry so much over this. How long are we not allowed to lift ? What's the norm on that?

Thanks for listening.
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Re: Lifting... (Trigger) sorry but I need advice.

I had a TAH and was allowed to lift anything under 25lbs since the day after surgery. At my 10 day check up he told me still nothing over 25lbs. I am not sure why you were given such tight restrictions. I would call the office and ask if you could hold him.....I am sure it is way too hard not too. Maybe if you put a pillow on your tummy and had your mom hand him to you? Let me know how you make out.
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:22 PM

My restriction was 10 lb which I think is coomon but that was liberalized at 2 wks, ask if you can advance to 15 lbs then, too. Until then, could your mother lift the baby up to you on the bed or chair to snuggle, then lift him/her away? Lifting restrictions vary by Dr and individual situation so do call to ask if you can be advanced a few lbs prior to the 6 wk point. There may be some leeway. If not, I'm sorry, this is surely hard on you. I hope you can work out a non lifting way to hold your baby, with help.
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:58 PM

I have a 5 month old and my doctor told me to wait about 10 days before lifting her. She is 17.5lbs. I totally understand what you are feeling. It's difficult not being able to hold them, but I try to remind myself that this is just a momentary blip in time. By letting myself heal now, I am making it so I won't have any set backs later. I would call the doctors office and check.
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:07 PM

I feel for you Catracha even though I do not have any kids. Here's hoping you can hold your bundle of joy real soon! Hugs to you!
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM

I hope you are still able to snuggle together on the sofa or your bed. I can imagine how hard not picking him up is. Try to concentrate on healing well so he can have the best mommy at her best! I also have a 10 lb lifting restriction until 6 weeks. Prayers!
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:27 PM

I have a 2 month old who is 13 pounds. My dr said that was close enough that I could hold him. I am 2 weeks post op today and still haven't tried to carry him or put him to bed. I can move him around on the couch if I am sitting but the first few days I didn't do anything other than feed him and then hand him off. My oldest is 8 so she can carry him to the changing table for me. There were times at first that I started hurting while nursing my baby so at that time I would hand him off to whoever was at my house helping me out. I would say you should be able to hold your baby just fine just do things slow.
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM

I should also add that I would lie on the couch with him next to me and just snuggle or nap together. I am ready to take on his full care again but my body is not. I understand how you feel.
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful words

I called my doctor's office and they said its okay to lift him. So I'm so happy! And of course mom dropped him off n he was sleeping so I had to wait.
Mom wasn't too happy as she worries that I might hurt myself but I assured her I will only lift him when needed.

He's gonna stay home tonite. With me n no mom .
I'm so happy!!!! ❤
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM

You'll find that 15lbs in your arms is VERY different than your arms outstretched with 15lbs - that uses all your core muscles and can be painful. So try not to stick your arms straight out while bending over putting the baby in the crib and that type of thing. It will be nice to cuddle and take care if the baby more now
My little girl is 5 and it even killed me to not pick her up and cuddle when she'd fall or that other people (my husband or mother-in-law) weren't fully being Mama like I would be - listening from the other room, I would want to jump up and go to her We're a very cuddly family too and not being able to snuggle for a while was difficult - sitting on my lap would hurt my belly. I'm at 4 weeks now, so I'm feeling much better and physically present!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.