HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Procedure Anxiety Procedure Anxiety

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Procedure Anxiety

I am scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy at the end of March and had a second opinion with a surgeon who performs it robotically. I have scar tissue from a previous c-section, tubal, and ablation, and I have high blood pressure so I worry about being under anesthesia a long time. My gyn for 20 years who performed the c-section is prepared to do it abdominally but the surgeon who doesn't know me thinks I should do it robotically. i am thinking it is better to have the doctor who knows me perform it and although the recovery is longer, it is a cut and dry procedure to do it abdominally which she has done over and over. I am stressed about which procedure to have done. Any advice would be helpful. I am very scared about the surgery in general and not knowing which is the best procedure is causing me a good deal of anxiety.
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Re: Procedure Anxiety

The amount of time under sedation will probably be about the same for either procedure. You might want to talk with your gynecologist, who you know and trust, about whether there are any significant medical factors in your case that would make one procedure better than the other. If there is no significant medical factor that would make one method better than the other, then I don't see any reason not to stick with your current gynecologist. Most of us have a huge amount of anxiety about having a hysterectomy, and having a doctor we are comfortable with and trust is really important.
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Re: Procedure Anxiety

I believe that you should do the one that you are most comfortable with. It's your body and your choice.

I also have high BP and it was high all during my surgery and hospital stay. I did the robotic without any problems, but this was also my first ever surgery. Even with the having a robotic surgery it still took 4 hrs. I didn't have any problems with the anesthesia, as long as they know a head of time about your BP they can manage it. MY BP was 163/114 during my pre-op appointment. Doc gave me xanax a few days before surgery to keep my anxiety down and BP a little more under control.

I wish you the best of luck.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway