HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Do abdominal binders work? Do abdominal binders work?

Unread 03-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Do abdominal binders work?

Hello My Sisters
I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op from a total abdominal hysterectomy with both ovaries removed.

I read about abdominal binders. Do they work? Has anyone tried one? What exactly does the binder help with? Will it help the swelling go down and is 3 1/2 weeks post surgery too soon to start using one? This site and all of you were instrumental in n getting me through this. I can't thank you enough.
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Re: Do abdominal binders work?

I was given a binder the day after my surgery i was in so much pain when i would stand up it felt like the whole bottom of my stomach was going to ripe into.. and even now 9 weeks post op i still wear it when my stomach gets sore the pressure seems to help for some reason...the reason it helped me so much is cause im a big gal and it didnt let my belly move around as much it kind of holds it steady also when i first started trying to sleep on my side it gave me enough pressure my belly didnt like slump over lol i hope that makes sense
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Mollmcb. That totally makes sense. THANK YOU so much.
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM

My doctor said I wouldn't need one because (in his words) I'm skinny. However, he was not opposed to my using one if I wanted. I bought one from the HysterSisters store - the one that comes with the pocket and two ice packs. I have to say, I love it! Like Molly said, the pressure just feels good sometimes. The support it provides eliminates that feeling that your lower belly is drooping. Plus, the ability to easily ice my incision is really nice. I have tried to sleep on my side, but even with the binder, I'm not quite ready for that. I started wearing mine as soon as I got home from the hospital, and find that I keep it on 80% of the time.
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:58 AM

I am a little over 2 weeks post op. I asked my doctor about one and he said he gives all his patients a binder. When I woke up from surgery it was already on. I agree, the pressure feels good. When I take it off, I feel like I need to hold my stomach because "things are moving around."
I'm still wearing mine and feel like I will for awhile.
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Thank you Indigostar & Clynnh. Funny story but after the surgery I did and still do have that feeling like something is moving around so I would apply pressure with my hand or pillow. Silly me, I should have purchased one prior but I'm going to purchase one right now. Thanks so much for your feedback. It's so helpful to get feedback from others who experienced what you did. You Girls Rock!
Unread 03-15-2013, 04:06 PM

I asked about it before surgery and woke up with it on. I wear it except when I shower. It really helps me feel secure and less "jiggly." And I think it helps me with swelling. The one from the hospital was really wide and I didn't like how far up into my rib cage it went, so I only use two I got from Walgreens - they go to just over my belly button. I imagine I will wear it for quite a while - it also helps me feel a little more protected from the outside world.
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:50 AM

I really like the binder. Big or small, we can all use the extra support in that area. I'm slim and it helps me a lot. It supports your back when you're walking or standing, not to mention how good the support feels on the belly. I've been using mine since the hospital- I had to ask for one, they didn't put it on automatically. I wear it when walking or sleeping. Generally not while sitting. I haven't had much swelly belly, I'm 9 days post op. I'm not sure if the binder helped with that. I would highly recommend getting a binder!
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:06 AM

I bought my binder from the HysterSister store and I have to tell you that I LOVE IT! I wish I had this with my 3 C-Sections. I have been wearing mine since the hospital. I had a TAH and am 9 days Post Op. It helps so much with the support and the swelling. Helps with the getting up and walking around. This is a MUST HAVE!
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:15 PM

My doctor gave me a belly binder in the hospital. I think it feels like a nice comfortable hug. I wore it almost nonstop for the first two weeks. Now I wear it in the evening or whenever I'm feeling a little sore/achy. I always wear it to bed. It helps to be able to move around more comfortably without that strange sensation that my insides are shifting. I would definitely recommend using one!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.