HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Frozen Shoulder and Lack of Estrogen/Hormones Link? Frozen Shoulder and Lack of Estrogen/Hormones Link?

Unread 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Frozen Shoulder and Lack of Estrogen/Hormones Link?

I am beginning to think there is a link between a condition called "frozen shoulder" and lack of estrogen. Who else besides me has frozen shoulder?

I had a total hysterectomy a year ago. I have been reluctant to take estrogen due to cancer fears, bloat/weight gain with Premarin, and just an overall desire to do it naturally. My frozen shoulder with no range of motion in left arm has been awful! I am doing physical therapy but beginning to look into this more.

About a month ago, I started on Vagifem tablets (which contain estrogen). About 5 tablets later, my frozen shoulder felt much improved!!! I didn't make the connection, but felt happy.
Then, I cut back on the tablet dosage, and shoulder immediately stiffened back up. I am starting the tablets again today to see if the shoulder feels better again.

Who knows what about this? Let's compare notes. Doctors have just told me that "frozen shoulder is just something that happens to women at or around age 50."
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Re: Frozen Shoulder and Lack of Estrogen/Hormones Link?

Yeah...it happens around age 50 because we go through menopause at around that age! LOL

Yes, I broke my left humerus and my shoulder has been frozen off and on since, with much more problem when I try to get off estrogen.

I know vagifem is not supposed to be systemic, but for me it is. I've often wondered if I could just take vagifem every day for my hormone replacement.

All my joints and old orthopedic injuries become much, much worse when I get off all hormones. I"ve tried it; it isn't fun.
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanks for your information. I do think that VagiFem is systemic for me too. Time will tell as I consistently use the product and test for myself.
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM

It's funny you mention this. I don't have frozen shoulder but noticed unusual pain and stiffness in my shoulder right after surgery. I thought maybe it was just a result of not working out during recovery. Even after my workouts resumed, my shoulder still ached. I just started low dose patches about a week ago and as I type, my shoulder is fine. I noticed it being better within a few days and had been thinking it had to be related.
Unread 03-28-2013, 03:31 AM

Persistent shoulder pain is a common complaint among women with gyn issues. It's also one of the lesser known tip offs to an ovarian cyst or tumor, to the savvy dr. Lucky us for knowing this stuff, huh? :-)
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM

I am 8 weeks and my right shoulder is completely frozen. I can only raise I'd t about 6 inches from my side. I am on a very low dose of estrogen. Who do I call? GYN, regular family dr, physical therapist, or ???
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:11 PM

My advice for frozen shoulder is to stretch it and keep it moving. Hot and cold packs. See a physical therapist who is good to catch it early.

I am not sure about the estrogen link... My shoulder is a little better after therapy and stretching and exercising it helps.

I waited too long. I thought keeping it still would help. Silly me.
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:45 PM

Yes, all my joint problems started around menopause even before the hysterectomy. The estrogen did not make much improvement though, so I think most of mine is genetic. I saw joint issues in my parents.

I ended up having a partial torn rotator cuff and I did nothing to tear the tendon. Dr. said "wear and tear". I think we all have body parts that wear out sooner or later , and we are all different , with things breaking at different times.

Unread 06-27-2013, 12:43 AM

I have frozen shoulder , "adhesive capsulitis", too. I am not over 50 and I don't have diabetes. Those are the most well known risk factors. I am in my 40s and on estrogen, but have trouble getting my levels high enough to decrease inflammation without causing other problems. DHEA is also secreted by the ovaries and is an ant-inflammatory hormone as well. There is definitely a link between ovarian hormone deficiencies/imbalances and inflammation of the joints. There have been many studies to support this link. The best of luck to all of us.
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:11 AM

Thanks for posting Edith1. I'm in my early 40s and glad to know I'm not alone...although wish none of us had this. I'm going to look up Dhea. Thanks for the info!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.