HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > In Search of Info/Support for .....

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Estrogen dominance, but low estradiol Estrogen dominance, but low estradiol

Unread 04-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Estrogen dominance, but low estradiol

My estradiol labs come in 8, 12, 30 when not applying a few hours before the test. When I have applied the cream 3 hours before, my 3mg cream raised my estradiol to 60. When I do the estrogen to progesterone ratio with a 32 estradiol and 0.7progesterone it comes out estrogen dominance. So what does one do if your estradiol is still low, but you are estrogen dominant? Raise the progesterone dose? I've been on 100 and 200mg of Progesterone, and my estradiol still not near 100, and yet I struggle losing weight and feel it's the progesterone causing that.

I've read horror stories of women on progesterone that eventually go off and say it takes almost a year for it to clear your tissues. I've been on progesterone and estrogen pretty much all the time for five years, at times I take a few months off.

So what do you do with low estrogen, yet being estrogen dominant? Do you have to raise your progesterone dose higher?
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Re: Estrogen dominance, but low estradiol

I'd love to help, but have a couple of questions.

What comes out estrogen dominant? Are you have symptoms of it?

You shouldn't rely on the numbers so much, but rather how you feel.

Are you using progesterone because you still have your uterus? Is this why you're changing amounts? Endometriosis?
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:34 AM

It's very confusing this issue, because when I look at the symptoms for high/low estrogen and progesterone, I may have two high estrogen symptoms, but mostly low estrogen symptoms. The same for progesterone. So I feel whichever you have more symptoms of, that must be your issue.

i do have a uterus, but one ovary, one tube. The ovary is barely visible on sonograms. I also don't get periods often at all, I've gone 8, 9, 11 months at a time all while cycling 200mg of progesterone 14 days a month.

Eventually my doctor said to use both daily, with no breaks.

I did a formula that converts the serum hormones levels to mmols, then you do a ratio. In order to be healthy and balanced per many links I've read, the ratio should be 200 to 300 to 1 in favor of progesterone to estrogen. Anything under, means you are estrogen dominant. Mine was 14.

So, per that formula I'm estrogen dominant, even though my estradiol level was 32 and my progesterone was 0.7.

I do have 30lbs of weight on me that I'm maintaining and barely able to lose following weight watchers, and exercise. I'm also on Erfa thyroid for low thyroid symptoms and mild goiter in the gland.

I wonder about the extra weight, I've read that estrogen is in fat tissue, and if you have layers of fat, you don't need extra estrogen. Then I hear women say progesterone makes them fat, and it takes a year to get it out of the body.

Then I read it's progesterone during peri and meno that is missing the most from the body b/c there is no more ovulation. Well, that is definitely the case for me for the last few years, so do I need more progesterone due to the one tiny ovary that is not producing, and less estrogen, or do I need enough of both?

The symptoms overlap. My most worst symptoms are and have been:

No libido (since they took out my ovary 7 years ago)
No sexual response (parts don't work)
No interest
Dry and painful (even on vaginal estriol cream for a month)
Migraines (two times a month)
Dry Skin
Weight gain/hard to lose
Muscle spasms frequently in back (no issues on MRI)
Muscle weakness and fatigue
Bouts of depression
Hot Flashes (not awful, not too many while on HRT)

No interest in things I used to love
Want to sit and rest due to muscle pain and spasms

Maybe I do need to listen to my doctor and take more progesterone and less bi-est? He has me on 200mg of Progesterone and 2mg of bi-est, and .25mg of testosterone. I'm doing 1/2 dose, b/c I was worried about the progesterone dose.
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM

Well, most women on here have had a hysterectomy and that's going to make everything react a little differently.

I would not look at the numbers, but listen to your body and what you're describing sounds mostly like low estrogen (and possibly low testosterone) or too much progesterone.

If it were me, and this is only advice, I'd cycle the progesterone more like a natural cycle and take it only the last 10-12 days of your cycle. If you've been reading, then you know we don't produce progesterone until we ovulate in a normal cycle.

You could try this a month or two and see if you feel any better overall.
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:24 PM

I'm wondering about the progesterone, but my ratio has always come up estrogen dominance even with low estradiol level. Much of what I'm reading on line and in some books say it's the progesterone we need more of because we don't ovulate anymore. I don't get cycles much now either, even when I cycled the progesterone for 14 days. I think I am just low in all of them, and I may never get balanced on any level of doses. It's frustrating.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.