HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

what can i do to get bowels moving...help what can i do to get bowels moving...help

Unread 02-23-2002, 07:18 AM
what can i do to get bowels moving...help

I had my TAH on 2-18.....small movement after suppository help in hospital. Now I am home, eating well and need to go but nothing happens. Maybe I am scared to try....so someplease tell me what to do now.
Thanks,
Deby
Unread 02-23-2002, 07:27 AM

Drink that water! Are you walking around? These are things I keep on hearing over and over again. I hope you have contacted your doctor!

I will have to remember that when I'm in post-op too.

Sara
Unread 02-23-2002, 07:28 AM

Did your doc advise a stool softener? I found that walking helped, even those little walks around the house. And drinking lots of water, and some fruit juices might help. I know this sounds weird, but black licorice works for me, it must be the anise in it. And not just a piece or two, make a pig of yourself! Don't wait too long to get some advice from your doc, although after major surgery getting bowels to move is not uncommon. Hopefully you can get things "going" before too long.

Unread 02-23-2002, 07:31 AM

Hi Deby, You might try giving the doctors office a call and see if they have anything they recommend as far as a stool softener. That might be your best bet. I would make sure to get their recommendation first though. Some laxatives are very harsh and might cause you discomfort. There are many women who seem to have this problem. Other things that might help are making sure you are drinking a lot of water, this will help soften the stools some. I found drinking apple juice everyday (a couple time a day) helped me. Many women use prunes to help. (I really don't like prunes so I didn't try those). I ate oatmeal for breakfast almost everyday. I found that walking also seemed to help me. Just getting up and moving seemed to help get everything else moving. Hope some of these suggestions will help you. Take care!
Unread 02-23-2002, 07:36 AM

I had those same problems and OOHHHH the pain !!! I took a stool softener and Milk of Magnesia... This gave me explosive diarehha and then I went back awhile to constipation and then more diarreha . After about 4 weeks it finally worked itself all out.
Sounds quiet normal but as the others have said, Call the dr. and see what they say. Blessings to you, Nancy
Unread 02-23-2002, 08:06 AM
Totally norm.....

Hi Deby.....all of the other ladies are right....it's totally normal to be going thru this right now. Please do call your Doc/on call though, if you haven't already. I went something like 7 days before I had a BM, had to use an enema. After trying all sorts of things to get me "regular", I now take 2 Colace a day, one in the AM and one in the PM (Doc okayed this). I had *wicked* problems with constipation and am proud to say that I haven't been since Monday (knock on wood). Our bowels tend to move things along reeeeally slow after surgery and it takes awhile for them to get back to norm.

Hope everything "works out" for you

Take care -
Unread 02-23-2002, 08:20 AM

Hi Deby

I had the same problem. My first stools were very painful. I was really worried about it. I would be in "gripping" pain, hyperventilate and sweat like crazy trying to have a BM. My doctor said to use Colace (buy OTC at drugstore) and to increase water and fiber intake. It sure helped! I took the Colace for about 1 week until everything got back to normal. I still have a bit of pain when having a movement, but he said it would take about 4 weeks for all the tenderness to go away. I hope you find some relief soon!

Joyce
Unread 02-23-2002, 11:13 AM
Help with BM's

Ihope by now that you have gotten some help. I had my TVH on 2/19. Within ten minutes of having the cathedar removed the next day I was able to pee...And even went home the next afternoon. Trust me after my last surgery, BM's were a huge fear of mine. But they gave me peri colace at the hospital, one twice daily. and i take them at home too. And I had my first BM the day after I got out of the hospital with no pain at all She told me to continue taking them as long as I take meds for pain. The pain isn't bad at all now My hubbyj ust keeps making me take IBU and I do take half of a vicodin two times a day..I have also been drinking a TON of cran/grape or cran/raspberry juice and maybe that is helping too. Plus I do walk a bit I started to have hte major gas pains so decided to listen to the hystersisters and WALK and it helped. My dr told me not to take laxatives cuz they are too harsh..Hope you have found help I think one thing that did help me is my dr didn't have me do the enema before surgery cuz it sometimes only cleans out what is in the rectum, but had me start to take sennecot three nites before surgery and every nite up to surgery so that my bowels were cleaned out good..Hope you are doing better
Unread 02-23-2002, 08:41 PM

In addition to the critical water and walking regimen, try adding guacomole and/or fresh-squeezed tangerine juice. Anything that caused your bowels to be "too soft" pre-surgery probably would be good to ingest during this period.
Unread 02-23-2002, 09:17 PM

Hi Deby0

I was having the same problems that you are having only my doc told me not to "push" during a BM so It got so bad that I ended up useing an enima to get relief.

I was drinking lots of water, walking several times a day and taking 2 stool softners at night before bed time. but nothing seemed to help

Anyways, This is what eventually worked for me.....

I bought a box of Great Grain's Cereal at the store, "Dates, Raisens, Pecan's" (Loads of fiber) and ate them for breakfast. Later in the after noon, I would eat 2 Kiwi Fruits or a combination of Kiwi and plums, peaches or pears. I finally became regular by adding this to my diet.

Hope you find something that will work for you too!

Cheryl

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.