will I ever sit cross-legged on the floor again | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

will I ever sit cross-legged on the floor again will I ever sit cross-legged on the floor again

Unread 02-23-2002, 10:43 AM
will I ever sit cross-legged on the floor again

oh dear,as I clean and bustle about sorting bills, mail, making my nest ready for my return to the castle (don't we love cleaning toilets) - I am struck by the things that I won't be able to do and it is depressisng to say the least - everytime I scoot up the stairs to my second floor - and I do this often - and at least half ofthe time it is a wasted trip, because I cant remember what I ran up for once I gt to the top of the stairs - anyway , each time I hit the landing at the turn of my stairs, i realize that even going up and down that far each day will be awhile - so i have to move all the stuff I have on that "level down to the first floor" - i will need a month off of work after my full-recovery and return to work just to {de-nest} my house LOL - but seriously - is anyone sitting crosslegged on the floor for fun, to play with children, or just to fold laundry??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 01:09 PM

(((Lynda))) Yes, you will be able to sit cross-legged on the floor again and to dash up and down the stairs, and do whatever else you want to do.... Well, maybe not vacuum -- that's one restriction that tends to stick for a while

One of the things that surprised me most about this surgery was how much less of everything it turned out to be. Our minds are so good at torturing us, much better than the surgeon's hand!!!

Stairs: I had no restrictions on going up and down the stairs. However, I felt that it was best that I keep it to one trip down in the AM and one trip up in the PM, for the first several weeks. It's not that it caused pain, I just found that it took a lot out of me.

Hang in there. You'll see: the waiting is the worst part!!! And we'll be with you, every step of the way.
Unread 02-23-2002, 04:37 PM

Lynda, after you recover from your surgery, you'll be able to do everything you can now (except have periods.)

There are restrictions during the initial recovery period, and it's important to follow those restrictions carefully. They're temporary, though. The six to eight week initial recovery period is a time to heal and recover. After that, you can once again resume the activities of everyday life, but you'll want to do so GRADUALLY.

I've read some of your posts, and it sounds like you're really busy, trying to get ready for your surgery. I'd encourage you to spend a few minutes, every now and then, just taking some deep breaths and reconnecting with your world. We're talking about surgery, and you will recover, and then your life will go on. I just know it!

Everyone says the waiting is the worst part, and I agree. How about a nice warm bath, or going for a walk? It's gonna be OK.

Best wishes,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 05:14 PM

Dear Lynda,

I had to smile when I read your post - unfortunately, the part about forgetting what it is that you intended to do didn't go away after my hyst!!

It took a few months (since I had repairs done for a rectocele and a cystocele) but now I can get down on the floor again, sit crosslegged and play with my granddaughter.

You'll do fine, but as Helen said, please do try to get some rest before your surgery.

Karen
Unread 02-23-2002, 05:53 PM

Karen is right!!! The brain fog will still be there post-op, maybe even worse for a couple of weeks....

Yes, you'll sit cross-legged on the floor before too long, at least I did......but my question is, when will I lose this "sumo-squat" method when I have to pick up something?!?!

Take care...
Janet
Unread 02-23-2002, 06:04 PM

Hi Janet,

How are you doing?

Actually, I think I meant to say that in my case the brain was hopeless anyway (had it before surgery)- but I like your answer better

's

Karen
Unread 02-23-2002, 06:13 PM
Hiii Karen!!

Teal and I are sitting here watching the Olympics and just saw your message

Oh well, brain fog is brain fog no matter when or why!!! I'm pretty ok - I'll drop you an email with details!!!

Love,
Janet
Unread 02-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Funny thing happened five days post op.

Your posts about sitting cross-legged made me think of a funny thing that happened to me five days post op. I am single and stayed with my parents for a couple of weeks after discharge from the Castle. Dad had had back surgery just two weeks prior to my surgery. Mom had tried to help me out of bed at the Castle and hurt her back. We were quite a trio. Two days after the Royal Discharge, Mom was trying to get some ice out of the icemaker in the freezer but it was jammed. Finally the ice obstruction cleared and landed on the floor in the kitchen. We have carpeting in the kitchen, but this was still too much ice to just leave there to dry. The three of us started to crack up. None of us could get down on the floor to clean it up. Mom swept the mess into a pile, but this pile of ice had to be removed. Finally (very slowly and carefully) I got down on the floor. Although I am 39 years old, I still sit W-style just like little kids. I never thought I would be able to do that so soon after surgery, but I did. Let me tell you, after cleaning up that mess, getting up was no picnic. I did not rush to repeat that action so fast. We still laugh about that episode, even 19-1/2 months later.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register