Lady in Waiting 3/12 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lady in Waiting 3/12 Lady in Waiting 3/12

Unread 02-23-2002, 10:55 AM
Lady in Waiting 3/12

Hi All, I just joined this forum today. I have been lurking around for over a year now knowing I would soon become a member. I have fibroids..but no heavy bleeding, which has been a Godsend. The fibroids in the last 12 months have continued to get larger and larger and I have been walking around in elastic waist pants or jeans unzipped now for over 3 months. I went for my annual last week and discussed with my Doctor having the hysterectomy. He asked me "are you ready now?" And I said "yes"..my uterus is so large it bulges up above my belly button and I can no longer lay on my belly, or work out on my exercise bike due to the pressure and discomfort. So, I am officially in waiting. I am going to have a abdominal hystercomy.( not familiar yet with all the abbrevs.) and I have asked to keep my ovaries pending their good health. I have no history of cancer in my family and thus far have had no problems with cysts, etc. Just huge ******* FIBROIDS.
I am nervous though to undergo major surgery. I am divorced and live with my 17 year old son. I have a wonderful, loving boyfriend who is going to help me and my mother will be staying with me and my son as well when I come home.
My major question right now is "When I come home..will I be able to get up my stairs to my bedroom"? Any tips or suggestions as in should I have a bed downstairs?
I am so glad I have this site for support!
Mavie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 11:29 AM
Lady in Waiting 3/12

Hi Mavie, Welcome to the boards. We are glad you've joined us and come in from the lurking ranks. Your question about stairs will get many mixed responses. I would make sure to ask your doctor about that one. Some ladies are told yes, but slowly, some are told no steps. I personally was asked if I had to do steps, which I didn't (my only steps go to the basement for the laundry room), so it wasn't an issue for me. But he did tell me if I had to do any, to not do them alone at first, and not to do them very much. At about the 7th day post op, I decided I wanted to see if I could actually do the steps. I went slow, one step at a time, and did alright, although it felt sort of like a work out. Just check with the doctors and see what they tell you for restrictions on steps are. Sometimes it depends on the amount of work that has to be done internally. They would know best. Take care!
Unread 02-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Lady in Waiting 3/12

Hi, Mavie!

I'm one day behind you -- scheduled for LAVH on 3/13. We're almost surgery sisters!

Good luck.

Melissa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register