tummy tuck-swelly belly are they the same problem | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

tummy tuck-swelly belly are they the same problem tummy tuck-swelly belly are they the same problem

Unread 02-23-2002, 10:58 AM
tummy tuck-swelly belly are they the same problem

that wasn't really clear - I don't think I have time or the inclination for a tummy tuck in 10 days, and my surgeon is on vacation this week, but why are so many sisters having tummy tucks - this may be too persoanl but I would love to know the relative before and after sizes of the "tummmies" we are talking about - since we talk about my "tumor" as a six month baby size ( until I saw my oncologis I though we were only talking about the baby's head - not the whole baby ) - my boss (RN) had a good laugh when I came back even more upset than usual about this thing growing all out of wack inside of me (without my permission of course) she laughed b/c she knew all the time I was way off in my estimate of the size, but said "why make you any crazier than you are now?" - probably a good managerial decision - I had to tell the oncologist to put down his hands, as he showed me for the third time the size of my tumor - I told him he was going to give me an anxiety attack - that I got the picture, and to put his hands down immediately --he did- I think I scared him- he knows me as a highly functioning professional social worker - yikes!! - anyway I thought that after women have babies, they can get back into shape with proper exercise and nutrition and I am planning to be the same way - now I am obsessing about having this paunch forever - yuk---it's alot easier to focus on this that the thought of a possible cancer - I am probably the only woman in history who will have gained weight and be found out to have cancer - just my luck - so talk to me about bellies and tummy tucks and sizes - or just tell me I am nuts -I can take it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 12:50 PM
tummy tuck-swelly belly are they the same problem

Hi Lynda

First things first: calm down!!!

I had my hyst for fibroid (one huge fibroid, the size of a 5 month baby - so I know what you mean about the 6 month size tumor) and rectocele repair (giving birth to big babies and the fibroids were responsible for the rectocele).

After my hyst, which was TVH, I found that my swelly belly was much smaller than my pre-hyst belly. I was kind of upset that it would sometimes flare-up to about the size of pre-hyst, in the several months that it took for it to disappear (for me, it was 8 months).

I am now over 1 year post-op and, thanks to a great Weight reducing program and exercise, I am now within 17 lbs of my goal. And my tummy is almost flat.

The swelly belly is not fat, it is healing tissue swelling. Therefore, a tummy tuck would not reduce the swelly belly. A friend of mine had a tummy tuck the day before I had my hyst. She has now put on A LOT of weight. This translates by her tucked tummy remaining flat. However, she now has a pouch over the tummy tuck -- doesn't look great.

You are right: good eating habits and and exercise program will get you back in shape. Unfortunately, after a hyst, it takes a little longer than after a baby because recovery itself is a longer process.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register