Cervix- Remove or not? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix- Remove or not? Cervix- Remove or not?

Unread 02-23-2002, 12:36 PM
Cervix- Remove or not?

I would like to know if there are any stories of inability to achieve orgasm after TAH.
I am struggling with wether to keep the cervix or not.
My surgery is scheduled for March 5th, and I would greatly appreciate any and all experiences!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 02:44 PM
hi Cheryl

I cant help you with the TAH as I had a TVH.

I am 12 weeks post-op and have had no problems with orgasms after having my cervix removed. DH said that it doesnt feel anything different.

Big Hugs
JudyS
Unread 02-23-2002, 02:48 PM
Cervix- Remove or not?

I had TAH/BSO, and my orgasms have been the same as before the surgery. My DH said he feels no difference either. I wanted my cervix removed because I had been having abnormal paps on and off for about 5 years. The pathology report showed that I had chronic endocervicitis, so I'm glad it is gone.

Best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Cervix- Remove or not?

Cheryl, my surgeon told me that there is no reason that orgasm would be different or none at all. The cervix has gotten that rep from Cosmo magazine, that's what she told me!

I'm having mine removed as it was "part of the package" she told me about. I didn't really have a choice, but I guess I do.

I am having it removed along with the uterus. I like the fact that I won't ever have to worry about cervical cancer. No, it doesn't run in the family, but, no more pap smears either and those were always hard on me.

Good luck in your decision!

Sara
Unread 02-23-2002, 04:34 PM
Cervix- Remove or not?

I'm in the same place, my dr. wants to leave my cervix. I'm confused about it now. He has a large practice and does alot of surgeries mostly for fertility, he uses hysterectomies as a last resort. I asked him why leave the cervix, he gave me the following reasons, he said at my age (38) it helps with support and he said he has seen cases where during intercouse a woman has been torn from the lack of the extra support at the end. Maybe he said this because I'm a small person and a large partner per say would be a problem. He seems to have a good knowledge and is confident in what he says, but I have to go back to him with my questions list so I can make up my mind. I too am very curious of what everyone has to say about the cervix removal.
Unread 02-23-2002, 05:12 PM
Cervix- Remove or not?

Well, your doctor knows you better than WE do, obviously, but I asked my doctor and she was pretty emphatic that it was NOT necessary for support. Of course, I had nothing left in there to support.

I was GLAD GLAD GLAD to get rid of the "cancer magnet" as someone on this board once called it.

For me, having it out made absolutely NO difference in orgsms or intrcourse.

The reason I am not spelling those words out is because I have had people (weirdos) tell me that they have computer programs which search the internet for certain words and then email the person who wrote them. I am serious. I get SO much p*orn that I will do anything to stop it.
Unread 02-23-2002, 05:31 PM
Cervix removed

I grappled with that same thing about two weeks ago. My surgery was this week. Everything went fine. I haven't tested the
"O" situation yet, but I am confident all be well. My surgeon assured me that the support thing was not an issue. I had a TVH.
I will keep you posted however. Best to you.
Unread 02-24-2002, 05:32 AM
Cervix- Remove or not?

I know what your saying, I personally would rather have the cervix removed because I'm so tired of being worried all the time as with this cyst I have about cancer. I am definately going to go over again with him about the cervix thing, it just seems every time I do the opposite of what one tells me I end up wrong! His side was convincing and he is what I consider very experienced and is probably the first gyn I trusted but I also look at everyone's post here about having it removed and I tend to agree with their points. Guess it's one more thing to research and think about.
Unread 02-24-2002, 07:52 AM
The Cervix

Hello there Cheryl

I to had a TAH 9 1/2 weeks ago. My cervix is gone and i feel no differently as before. OH WAIT!!! yes i do. I no longer have pain in there . I had high level dysplasia and sex was a bit painful as well.

Now sex is great the big "O" is great and i do not miss it at all. My dbf said that he can not tell any difference. He did mention that the back wall (where it used to be) is a little bit tighter. But i assume that is from some scar tissue repair my ob/gyn did from having children.

This choice is entirely up to you and working with your Dr. Get informed as much as you can and go to your Dr with all your quetions. Make a list even. That's what i did and it helped a lot.

I think this entire surgery is a huge decision, then we break it down into (what to keep and what not to keep). Do what is best for you and your body & health

Take care and be well
Unread 02-24-2002, 12:36 PM
Reply to Cervix-Remove or Not

Thanks to everyone that responded to my ?!!!
Love to all!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register