HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Frequent urination without bowels/where to put heating pad and how high Frequent urination without bowels/where to put heating pad and how high

Unread 04-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Frequent urination without bowels/where to put heating pad and how high

I am two days out already. I came home yesterday and my first night did not go good at all. First off, the doctor asked me if I preferred to keep the catheter in overnight for my first (and only) night in the hospital right after the surgery because I also have Pelvic Floor Dysfunction to which would've made it impossible for me to even try to get up right after the surgery anyways. I was wondering if anyone else bled the first time they urinated right after surgery, or if that was common as I did have blood in my urine the first little bit that I could get out the second time I tried. The first attempt was a failure but the nurse told me not to be upset because that happens all the time. Now I am constantly drinking water mainly along with some coffee and my miralax, and all I do is pee constantly. It's almost as if its just going right through me. I have also not had a bowel movement at all after my surgery, which was a total hysterectomy done through laparascopy/assisted. I had endometriosis and 90% of my family history of females on both sides ended up having hysterectomies because of that or cancerous biopsies. I have been consistent with my miralax, and that had worked really well when I had to take it before while I was pregnant, however I think I might need my doctor to give me something else, unless someone knows a good home remedy to get things going. I had a Laparoscopy for exploratory surgery to see if I had endometriosis because my pelvic exams were not normal and so on. He ended up finding the endometriosis and due to that and the amount, my only options were the hysterectomy, to which I decided to let him remove everything just so I didn't risk anything in my future basically from researching my long family history of female issues. After he did that surgery, I couldn't stop going to the bathroom and had no problems passing any bowels or urinating. I am getting worried, because I really don't want it to hurt the first time that it actually does come out, as I have passed gas, both ways, (this is embarrassing everytime I say it to no matter who I am telling it to), but still no bowels and they gave me solid food the next morning after my surgery. My mother told me they had her on a strictly liquid diet until she passed her bowels at least once, and then they let her go home, but I was only on a liquid diet for the rest of the day after the surgery was performed. Should I call the doctor on call to see if there is anything else that I could do?
One other issue, is that I have been using my heating pad, however I cannot figure out if that is making the aches better or worse and if I should be putting it directly in front of me where my organs used to be or how high to put it on because sometimes it helps and other times I have to wait before I stand up because it has relaxed my muscles and hurts worse when I stand. I don't know how else to explain it but I have stopped using the heating pad for down there and will only use it for gas pains in my shoulders from now on until I get some advice because I am sure maybe I shouldn't be placing the heat directly over where the surgery was or maybe I am turning it up too high. Please help!!!
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Re: Frequent urination without bowels/where to put heating pad and how high

There is a thread somewhere dedicated to the 1st BM, we are all different. I didn't have mine until day 4 post op, and I was also scared it would hurt, but it didn't. Just don't push, just relax and let it come as it's ready. It may take a while. Some posted they didn't have theirs until 6 or even 8 or 9 days post op. Everyone is different. I know it's hard to know what's 'normal' but I think we all have our own normal.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.