Acetominophen and ibuprofen before surgery... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Acetominophen and ibuprofen before surgery... Acetominophen and ibuprofen before surgery...

Unread 02-23-2002, 01:32 PM
Acetominophen and ibuprofen before surgery...

I know aspirin is not allowed prior to surgery...for at least 7 days...but I was wondering if anyone knows if there are restrictions on acetominophen or ibuprofen??? And what the time lag before surgery needs to be if they do need to be restricted?? Thanks.

enbeejay :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 01:36 PM
No Ibuprofin

My Dr said no to ibuprofin and aspirin prior to surgery. You should check with your Dr, they usually have their own restrictions.
Unread 02-23-2002, 01:52 PM
You might want

to check with the pre op nurse at the hospital if you get no clear answer from the dr. I was told 48 hours on the Ibuprohen but I suspect that like with many other things all dr's and castles have thier own set of guidelines!! Good Luck in the quest for the answer and best of luck with your impending surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 02:50 PM
Thank you, ladies!

I will take it easy on them...unfortunately, I am having a last dance with my periods...wouldn't you know?? So I took some ibuprofen yesterday when I had a headache...and I popped some Midol this morning...but I will hold off now...just try to drink more water. I have been working outside a lot of the day helping my husband take down some trees on our property and my allergies are kicking in, too. So while the work is therapeutic and symbolic(removing unnecessary deadwood), I am not shaking this headache...could be pre-op jitters...as well as that time of the month. Thanks for your help.

enbeejay :
Unread 02-24-2002, 10:46 PM
PS A pharmacist's answer on acetaminophen...

I was quite desperate Saturday night...with a terrible headache...so I called Eckerd's pharmacy and asked the pharmacist if taking acetaminophen would be OK with surgery looming on February 27th. He said it would be fine...so I did. Will doublecheck with doctor's office on their instructions on Monday morning(this morning)...and will add to this message board just for reference for others who need to know what my doctor said. Guess it doesn't matter...but I surely NEEDED the headache relief which Tylenol-type products usually do NOT give me...but I got relief at last. I do think my headache was stress-related....pre-surgery stress related...I feel MUCH better over all as the date gets closer...calmer and more certain that I am doing what has to be done and that my decisions are well-considered and right for me. I just don't FEEL like going through surgery to get to the other side....ie. recovery and better health...but then, who does FEEL like having surgery???? Hardly a hobby worth continuing...which in my case would be a good one to replace with other pursuits!

Good Luck to all the LIW out there!
God Bless,
enbeejay :
Unread 02-24-2002, 11:30 PM

Enbeejay
Ok Sweetie, I don't want to scare you but please tell your Doctor about the ibuprofen you took right away. I was taking ibuprofen every day, and I didn't think to tell my Doc about it until 4 days before surgery. He told me to stop taking it immediately so I did. But while I was in surgery, I started to bleed out. He couldn't get the bleeding stopped, so they put another IV in me and were getting ready to give me a blood transfusion, when finally it started to slow down and finally stop, so luckly I didn't have to have the transfusion. I was so glad because I had to have a transfusion only a year prior because I hemmoraged. He told my DH about it as soon as he was done, explaining that is why the surg took longer than expected. When I was awake and in my room he told me about it, and said he was sure it happened because of the ibuprofen. I was taking it every day, but I did stop taking it 4 days before surgery, and that wasn't long enough. So PLEASE PLEASE tell you Doc about it immediately. If he needs to postpone it a little longer, that would be better than taking a chance. I am now the Don't Take Ibuprofen Before Surgery poster girl.
Please let us know what your Doc says.
Take Care
Unread 02-25-2002, 12:35 AM
Thank you so much!!!

Tina-

Thanks so much for the serious warning and insight into the risks I have now put in place for myself...as if there isn't enough to think about already!! ACK. You are right...I was thinking it through and realized that Friday 2pm gives me less than five days before surgery...I was looking through all my pre-op stuff from the doctor's office but there is NO mention of anything to avoid before surgery...BIG oversight on their part...I will mention it to Elaine, their pre-op nurse....The one positive thing in my favor I guess could be that I have Factor V Leiden Mutation...a genetic tendency to clot...so if anything, I would be going the other way. However, I do not want to overlook any risk factors as I go into surgery. Wish there had been some specific instructions on this....although I guess I should KNOW this having had so many other surgeries...I can't think of a time when ibuprofen was mentioned specifically...just the aspirin...and sometimes only because I knew to ask about it since I take .81 mg daily for the Factor V....although I quit that on February 7th, the day after I knew I was going to have surgery so I should be all clear on that one. So much to learn and to know!!

Thanks again!! I'll get back to you on this....
God Bless,
enbeejay :
Unread 02-25-2002, 04:37 AM
What I've been told

I spoke with the nurse at my hospital on Friday, which was 10 days prior to my surgery. She told me to stop taking aspirin, ibuprofen and acetominophen then. Actually said two weeks would be a preferred time frame. I was told causes thinning of the blood and makes it hard to stop bleeding (as mentioned in another post). My suggestion would be to contact your physician and ask him specifically what is ok to take. I, too, am dealing with one last hoorah with my period but I'd rather suffer than take something that causes my surgery to be postponed or worse, causes serious risk to my health during the surgery!
Unread 02-25-2002, 05:01 AM
acetaminaphen and aspirin prior to surgery?

Hi there,
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. last year when I had my partial, or should I say had my 1st appt. for my partial hyst. I was on the table and just happened to bring up the fact that I was taking different herbs to calm me down. The anesthiologist said "oh? What other herbs do you take?"...so I told him about the other herbs, ie: hawthorne, alfalfa, lysine etc. Well some of the things I take are blood thinners and the St. John's wart and chamomile are mild relaxers...anyhoot...they had a mini conference, took the IV out and sent me on my way...HOME! They explained that it was too chancy, after explaining why...that I could possibly hemorrage etc. I had to wait for my doctor to set another date...with a big DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING BEFORE SURGERY warning, that may affect my safety while on the "slab"...so I didn't. But what a pain in the a** going thru all that, nerves and all, then having to go thru it all again:cry:
Take care and good luck with your surgery...LJ
Unread 02-25-2002, 06:22 AM

This is a very important thread....PLEASE do not take ANYTHING prior to surgery without your doctor's specific permission. This includes ibufrophen, aspirin, tylenol (this is usually OK but ASK FIRST), vitamins, herbs, etc.

There is a list of herbs not to take before surgery at the top of this forum...please read it!!!

Call your doctor and ask for the restricted meds and the timeframe s/he prefers before surgery for not taking anything. Also make sure your dr is aware of any and all prescription drugs you may take. Especially if your surgeon is not your regular dr , these things may get lost in the shuffle.

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register