My, what a shiny new crown I have! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My, what a shiny new crown I have! My, what a shiny new crown I have!

Unread 02-23-2002, 01:48 PM
My, what a shiny new crown I have!

Hi Ladies,
Just a note to report I am home from the castle and doing well. In fact, my post-surgery recovery was so good that my doctor released me from the hospital after only one day! Wow!
Day 2 at home was a bit more rough, but today (day 3 post-op) I'm feeling pretty good. My swelling seems to be getting better, and all the plumbing is already working the way it's supposed to. I have a bit of pain when I stand up or roll over in bed, but I am only taking Toradol (no narcotics). The hospital stay was like being in a day spa - I felt totally pampered (except every 2 hours that first night when the nurses kept waking me up to breathe and cough, etc). I had a great private room looking out on the mountains in a very quiet new "overfill" area of the hospital reserved for a few "overbookings." The surgery was a breeze. I was nervous beforehand, but once I got a bit of drugs on board it was easy going. I had a spinal, and I swear if I ever get the choice again, I will ALWAYS request a spinal. It truly is the way to go. They also gave me Versed (spelling?) to give me a twilight sleep and amnesia. It was great because by the time they were done with surgery and starting to pull the paper drapes off me in the operating room, I was awake and alert and had no pain, no nausea and no lingering anesthesia ickiness (although I was rather itchy from the morphine - I found the most important thing I took with me was a back scratcher. It got to all those areas that I couldn't reach, like under the blow-up leg massagers, the back, etc). Within 4 hours after surgery I welcomed my first visitor and actually remember our conversation. Anyway, I wanted to tell ALL you princesses out there that your advice and wisdom came in so handy. I packed the most necessary things for the hospital based on your advice and the nurses and even my doctor continued to be surprised at how prepared and knowledgeable I was about the whole process. I truly believe that it was this preparedness (along with a brilliant doctor, great care, and supportive family and friends) that got me out in one day. So a big and thanks go out to all of you. And to you Ladies in Waiting, I know some of you are scared and that is SO ok to feel that way. There is nothing simplistic about this process. It is a major deal and people need to respect your feelings about it. But, like so many women told me beforehand, waiting truly is the worst part. So, remember we are all thinking of you and pulling for you. Best of luck to all you LIWs and thanks again to all you sisters out there who gave me your support!

Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 03:03 PM

Patti,

Congratulations on your crowning! I can't wait to join you there in March. I'm glad it went so well for you; I'm scared, and every positive story I read helps me gain heart. So thanks.

I talked to my doc about an epidural, and she seemed to think general anesthesia was a better idea. I didn't ask about twilight sleep, though I did really well with that for my colonoscopy, and maybe that combined with the epidural might work for me...? I'd love to avoid general anesthesia, but I also don't want to be awake during surgery. Maybe I'll ask her about twilight sleep + epidural.

Melissa
Unread 02-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Welcome home

Patti

Good to hear that all went well for you. Congratulations and I'm sure you look wonderful in your new crown.

Time now to be a pampered princess. Heaps of resting, lots of drinking fluids and a little walking often. Remember even if you feel well and great that your body will take a while to heal. There is a lot of internal healing to be done.

All the very best for an uneventful recovery.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 07:43 PM

Patti,
You sound great! Congratulations on such a successful surgery and castle visit!

Now, just remember to rest a lot and don't spend too much time at the computer for awhile. All that pressure on delicate abdominal tissues is not good for you right now. Keep your feet propped up and let your family pamper you!

So glad that you are doing well!

Beth
Unread 02-23-2002, 07:47 PM

Welcome home Patti. Thanks for checking in

Rest, REST and rest some more. See you in post op.
Unread 02-23-2002, 11:51 PM

Welcome Home Patti
Wow you look lovely in your shiney new crown.
Please continue to get lots of rest, and enjoy being Pampered.
Here is a plate of warm Brownies just for you, enjoy.
Take Care
Unread 02-24-2002, 03:27 AM
Thank you for sharing your great experience!

Thank you, Patti!

My surgery is only days away...but I feel so encouraged hearing your success story and knowing that you are safely home from the castle enjoying the new phase of being a pampered princess!! May God bless you and keep you in His care as you recover day by day! I'm looking forward to posting on the other side after I get home on Friday...

enbeejay :

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register