Colonoscopy with rectocele repair? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Colonoscopy with rectocele repair? Colonoscopy with rectocele repair?

Unread 02-23-2002, 03:04 PM
Colonoscopy with rectocele repair?

I do have a family history of uterine and colon cancers. There is a genetic predisposition factor that my family may or may not have ... so the colo-rectal doc who's doing a rectal rectocele repair (sounds more successful than the vaginal) is planning to do a screening colonoscopy at same time. Great ... if there are any polyps, he'll remove them so they won't turn cancerous.

However, just read the risks ... how often do colonoscopies go wrong? Are there other ways to know beforehand if I have polyps? I have to wait till Monday to call his office, so any knowledge or experience is greatly appreciated (had to take another xanax ... and have a really clean bathroom)
:confuse:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2002, 08:02 PM

Katie. back to the top so others can see it.

Use search engine at the top too...search by keyword "colonoscopy" Thatn will give you some posts while waiting for others to reply.
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:09 AM

Katie,
Oh my, you do sound nervous. I read recently that they are developing a new way to examine the colon that is not invasive ... but I don't think this technique is readily available yet. I had a colonoscopy two weeks prior to my hyst to check for possible endo in my colon or other colon problems. I had been diagonsed with irritable bowel syndrome about 16 years prior and had symptoms that indicated a possible problem.

If you are saying that they will do the colonoscopy while you are under anesthetic during your hyst, then I'd say that's a good thing. During my colonoscopy they gave me some sort of twilight sleep drug and also told me they'd be giving me some drug that sort of makes you have "amnesia" ... you forget what happened. Well, I don't remember anything after they put the drug in my IV. I remember being in the room where they were going to do the test, the dr putting the drug in my IV ... and that's about it. Still, it was another thing to prepare for and endure prior to the hyst. (Another bowel prep, etc.) Yes, things can go wrong during almost any medical procedure, but what are the odds? Knowing your family history, it sounds like a good idea to get checked out. I know it is scary, but try to focus on the potential benefits rather than possible complications. I had no complications with the colonoscopy (and my colon was just fine, luckily!) and not a single complication with my TAH/BSO! Hang in there, you will make it. Thoughts create reality, so think positive thoughts, okay?

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 08:08 AM
Love, light, positive thoughts

Thank you ... all of you.
I did do a search and learned just how common colonoscopies are (and for so many reasons). It is truly scary to think about something going wrong, and that's what I know better than to do ... just that the first time I read the risks of that one, it freaked me out.

I truly do want to only go through one surgery, have worked hard to get that coordinated (along with finding a doctor who'd listen to my whole-picture plan) ... I have been sooo blessed with 3 great doctors - my Urogyn who will remain my regular "gyn" doc, a wonderful gyn surgeon and a colorectal surgeon (which referral to him was the only thing the 1st witch-doctor gyn did right).

You are also right, I do need this checked - and any polyps removed if they are there. I just have to suck it up and stop getting freaked ... this is where I need to exercise faith, even if it makes that "muscle" "burn" a bit. Bless all of you for your candor.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register