HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

one ovary and hormones? one ovary and hormones?

Unread 02-23-2002, 06:17 PM
one ovary and hormones?

I have a question for anyone and everyone I suppose.

If I will only have one ovary, how does that affect my hormone level? I have looked all over the net and can't find anything definitive on it.

Wouldn't you still go through a sort of menopause once the uterus, cervix, and one ovary are removed?

I'm not sure what to expect really. Nor am I sure what questions to ask. I have been looking on the web, but most of the sites I have found have pictures. And, to be honest, right now that is not something I really want to look at.

I would REALLY appreciate any info on this. And I will keep searching.

Nakona :usflag:
Unread 02-23-2002, 07:38 PM
one ovary and hormones?

Hi Nakona,
I can't speak from experience, but I've read several posts here that indicate one functioning ovary will produce enough estrogen and other hormones so that you should not need HRT. Keep in mind, I said "functioning." Some ladies experience temporary menopausal symptoms after surgery, even if one or both ovaries remain, due to their ovary being in shock for a time. So, you do need to be aware of this possibility. Your doctor can prescribe HRT for a short time, if needed, until your ovary gets back to normal. Hope this has helped. Hang in there, girl! When does DH get home?? I'm sure this is difficult for you, not having him there as you're facing this surgery.

Beth
Unread 02-23-2002, 07:45 PM
one ovary and hormones?

Hi Nakona,

You are very wise to do the homework on this subject. WebMD is a wonderful informational site to do some expansive research.
The best person to ask about this is your doc because he/she will be able to give you the correct answers.
I am more than willing to tell you what I know about it though.
If you have one healthy ovary left then it should take over the production of the essential hormones which keep you from going into menopause. There may be a lag time right after the surgery,but they usually kick in and provide your body what it needs. In any case, be sure to make your doc aware of any hotflashes, nightmares, nightsweats, insominia, mood swings and weariness you might experience.
Stop over at the hormone jungle forum for advice from some very knowledgeable women.

Hang in there!

Hugs and Prayers,
Unread 02-24-2002, 01:59 PM
one ovary and hormones?

Thank you both for your replies! I really love that I found this place when I did.

My DH is suppose to be here on March 6th, but now that is just a tentative date. None of the proper paperwork is filled out yet because of some questions his commander has. It could be that for every day he spends here, he will have to make them up in Korea (

But at least he will be here for this.

I wish I could see my doctor and ask him about all of this. I don't see him again until the morning of my surgery. I wasn't really expecting him to say I needed a hysterectomy when I went in to see him. It took me months, sometimes years, with other doctors to get them to see that I was in major pain. And even then they had to literally SEE me in pain at its worst to believe it. So I wasn't ready with all the questions I know I should've asked. I was in shock that he was ready to just fix the problems instead of treat the symptoms like the rest had been. LOL

I have been doing a lot of serious research on this and I will continure until I know as much as I can find. I can't go unprepared, just against my nature.

BTW, 11 days 15 hours until I get to see DH again...if he makes it in when we think he will..

Nakona :usflag:
Unread 02-24-2002, 05:41 PM
one ovary and hormones?

I had one ovary removed. When I found out I needed a hyst., my first question to my Doctor was "will I become a raving hormona psycho B****?" He laughed and assured me that one ovary would produce enough hormones to keep my body in balance. Fast forward to post op. I asked him "How will I know the ovary is working or not?" He laughed and simply said "You'll know." then looked over at my sweetie and say "YOU'LL know."

Bottom line, I've been fine as can be with just my one ovary and expect to remain so til natural menopause.

BSQ
Unread 02-24-2002, 05:58 PM
one ovary and hormones?

Thank you for your reply. I feel better being a little more educated about all of this.

I guess it is really different with each of us?

At any rate, I hope I don't put DH through too much with all of this. It's bad enough that he has to fly from Korea 2 days before the surgery just so he can be here. I know he is worried sick about me.

The past two weeks or so I have not stopped hurting. Last night and today have been the worst so far. I was up all night with my side hurting. I am so ready to get this over and done with. I just hope it fixes the problem as I am tired of just dealing with the symptoms.

Maybe this won't be too bad afterall...
Nakona
:usflag:
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:37 PM
Nakona

Hugs and welcome to the best site.
I had a lavh/rso and bladder repair in sep last year. My one remaining ovary I am pleased to report is working just fine. My surgeon is just the best and we talked at length on this. She said that one ovary can do just a good as 2, that the remaining ovary just takes over. I still have a little PMS, Lol but no where near as bad as before. some do have ovaries that go to sleep for awhile but generaly they do kick back in.
Having one ovary will not put you into surgical menopause and menopause will gradually kick in when it would have anyway.
I wish you the very best with your up coming surgery and please keep us posted.
Remember to use all the pull down menus and also pop into chat for more support and information. I have never felt better and hope you do to. Hugs Vicki
Unread 02-25-2002, 06:31 AM
one ovary and hormones?

Thank you!

I am hoping that I will follow suit with my lone ovary!

Nakona

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.