Sleep | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:10 AM
Sleep

Dear Sisters,
I am now 12 days and waiting to go to the castle and I can't sleep! It's real bad. My last PMS is coming and Iam supposed to start right around my surgery date but, I just lay there at night and toss and turn. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me through these next 12 days I couldn't even go to church today. Thanks to all, Suzanne9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 06:17 AM
Sleep

Suzanne,

This is a common problem! First, I'd suggest you call your gyn, explain what is happening and ask for his/her recommendation. Sometimes they will prescribe a mild sleep aid, such as Ambien. Another thing that many ladies here have used is Tylenol PM. I had my hyst about 12 weeks ago, but have not been taking any estrogen because I had severe endo and my gyn takes a very conservative approach re. ERT. I was having trouble sleeping due to menopausal symptoms, so I bought Tylenol PM. It worked. I told my gyn about it and he said that was fine. I took 2 tablets for about 10 weeks post op, then backed it down to just 1 pill and I'm still sleeping fine. As I begin ERT, I plan to stop taking it.

So, there are things that can help you. But be sure to discuss with your gyn first, particularly with regard to what you can take in those last few days pre op. Sometimes they want you to stop taking just about everything a few days prior to surgery. Hang in there honey, many of us weren't sleeping too well those last few days pre-op. I really does weigh on your mind, I know. I remember seeing many posts from ladies that were up at 3 AM, here on hystersisters, commiserating with other ladies who could not sleep either!

Beth
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:42 AM
Sleep

Hi Suzanne,

I know what you are going though. I would be able to get to sleep, but would wake up way early in the a.m, and not be able to get back to sleep. So, instead of just laying there, I'd get up and get busy.

I took my focus off the upcoming trip to the castle, and did early Spring Cleaning, grocery shopped, and froze some stuff. I had a lot of things to do at work to get them ready for my 6-8 weeks of being off.

If I was getting too frazzled, I would stop and pray for the other ladies in waiting, that takes your focus off yourself too. I head for the castle tomorrow, so when I get nervous I will be praying for you I imagine everyone will get lots of prayer coverage tonight and tomorrow. He he he.

Well, that is all I can think of for now...and I'm off to do more stuff that I want done before I leave.

Here is a big :Hug: I'll definitly be keeping you in my prayers.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 07:25 AM
Me too!

Hi

I, too, am having problems sleeping. But, last night the dreaded dreams started. I am trying to just accept it as one step in the last walk to the castle. When I walk back out I will be the new and improved me!
Unread 02-24-2002, 04:32 PM
Sleep

I didn't want to count - but is you're the 7th and 12 days, I'm 11 days b/c i'm the 6th - my life has been incredibly stressful - without the immediate need for a hysterectomy and leaving work - I hadn't been sleeping anyway, worrying about when in the new year my hours would be cut once again - I lucked out and wa offfered additional hours, making me full time again, if i went to another unit to work - talk about stress/ relief - strange beds, meeting a whole new staff - in a total daze b/c they had just been sod to a corporation---anyway i finally approached one of the docs to see if he though valium would help (as it had; i/2 tab the night b/f sinus surgery, and the other 1/2 the morning of - and yo can bet I felt like a jerk with a prescription for one pill- ) it eased the tension to an acceptable level...what the doc said was that my anxiety was no longe the functional kind and i was slep deprived (2 weeks of about 4 hours of sleep, and not all at once) --I take 1/2 tab to fall back to sleep and am much better -- the other way to go is relaxation tapes - imagery that soothes you and lets you know that everything will be ok - I am loving doing mine again - I use one to get to slep, and the pill if i need it to get back to sleep - I was so frazzeled, I was unwinding... now I'm just regular nuts with occassional spirals out of control...LOL
Unread 02-24-2002, 04:49 PM
Tylenol PM, Lipton Lemon Soother Tea...

I am not in your position, but very often I have troubles sleeping.. tho I refuse to take prescription sleep pills. I make me 1 or 2 hot cups of Lipton's Lemon Soother tea and take 1-2 Tylenol PM and iin about an hour, I'm off to dream land. And the best thing is: I wake feeling refreshed and not groggy. But I do agree with another lady, call your doc to make sure this is ok to do (which I am sure it will be). Best of luck and lots of hugs for your up-coming trip to the castle and you becoming a beautiful new princess!
Unread 02-24-2002, 05:03 PM
sleep?

I take a Benadryl antihistamine near bedtime. And yes, I asked the doctor, and he said keep doing it. I had my pre-op stuff at the hospital last Thursday, and the nurse who "processed" me told me to keep taking it - she even said go ahead and take it the night before, which I was hesitant to do without specificqally being told that.

I also have allergies, and have a little post nasal drip thing going on, so it helps with that.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register