Stuff? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:36 AM
Stuff?

Hello Sisters,
I was wondering what do we need to take to the castle? Do we need a nightgown and robe? I always take socks for my laps because they freeze me out, but I have never stayed so long before. Any and all suggestions would be great. Suzanne9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 07:00 AM
Stuff?

Hi Suzanne

The main page of this site has drop down menus towards the bottom and you'll see one called Ladies in Waiting.

There are lots of helpful hints there, including a list of what to bring with you to the hospital.

Here's a link to that list:

http://www.hystersisters.com/list.php

Be sure to read the other hints there and for post-op, too.

's

Karen
Unread 02-24-2002, 07:22 AM
Here's what's in my bag

Hello

My surgery is on March 4th and here is what I have packed in my bag ready to go.

Insurance card, Pre-op paperwork, Case for glasses, Bathrobe, Slip on slippers, Warm socks, Address book w/phone numbers, x-large cotton undies, Sanitary pads, Eye mask, Water spray bottle, Gum/mints/snacks,
Chapstick, Shampoo/conditioner, Toothpaste/toothbrush, Mouthwash, hairbrush/comb, basic makeup, lotion

Hope that helps some. If anyone sees something that is missing...please let me know!

I am trying to be one prepared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 12:29 PM
Suzanne 9

Hi Suzanne,

I had my surgery last October....and one of the best things I can recommend to bring is your own bed pillow. Most hospital pillows have a plastic covering under the pillow case and they just aren't that comfy! I really feel that I slept better having my own.

Also, if you can find one of those small travel pillows to provide some comfort if you should cough. It really does help.

I did bring my own "jammies" and a light robe and "SLIP ON" slippers. But I did wait for all the tubes to come out and my first shower before I got into my own "jammies". It made me feel better mentally to have my own things on and not hospital gowns.

If you are into music, then bring along some cassettes or CDs. It does help drown out the hospital noise if you are trying to rest.

Bring along your own toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, make-up,etc.) You might just feel a little better to know you have these things with you. And oh yes, i did bring along some sanitary pads just in case and I did use them the first two days but it was a very light bleeding.

Just remember to rest, rest rest. You will be very tired at first, but just remember it does get better and it the long run it will beat where we have all been! Bad Periods! Good luck to you and I hope this will help you and LDJON 5 in some of your questions.

Nancy
:ribbon2:
Unread 02-24-2002, 01:05 PM
Stuff?

Hi Suzanne

Over the months I have spoken to some of the sisters in chat and most of them seem to mention Lip Balm as your mouth/lips can get dry...sure wish i had know this before my hyster as i had this problem just after surgery...
I also took dressing gown and slippers and jammies/toiletries...the hospital supplied us with a V pillow/body pillow, but if you can take your own that would be better.

Good Luck
s

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register