clothes & pillows for the castle | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

clothes & pillows for the castle clothes & pillows for the castle

Unread 02-24-2002, 07:06 AM
clothes & pillows for the castle

I need a little help (LOL) right, ! no, really, are couch pillows okay, or are we talking bed pillows, b/c I bought 3 new couch pillows, thinking that they have more protection b/t me and the car seat belt, laughs and coughs...I can return them if they are wrong (PS they were onsale and they match my living room (castle keep)

and...remind me what kind of nightwear/daywear to bring to the hosp - I know I do not want to wear a johnny - Iwillhave a million visitors, from docs on down (I was a VIP at this hosp for a long time - and know they will ignore the no visitors sign, of course thinking it does not mean them - I am practicing saying "please come back later" in the mirror, while giving my sister the evil eye so that she won't start talking or leave the room to entertain my guests...I just want to get pain relief, walking, pooping that gas away,and out of there...entertaining company is not on my list- and those who offer to help- that think a visit to the hospital will do it are wrong - as one sister said to say, I am saying, to those who ask " I will really need your visit and support once i am home"...

I have big(ie comfortable) short pull on pj's with tops, some pull on, some button, and 2 short nightgowns that do not button (the one that does, I spilled bright red nail polish on, right near my heart, and if i wear it they might code blue me or something!) --I also have bellbottom joga pants, nylon with a big, big waist with driwstring that i bought for real to exercise in, but also as the first change from pj's - I generally wear sweats to sleep in and around the house, but the waist bands are tighter... HELP - not ready to pack yet - but you know I need to be ready at least a week ahead of time - my "take to the hospital box" is filling with inspirational items, chocolate for the nurses (and anyone else who is nice to me) favorite photos, my tape player, and 2 copies of my Bernie Siegel getting ready for surgery ( so as to do extraordinarly well) I love it - it worked for my sinuses---thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 07:13 AM

Hi Lynda!

I would say to take what you are most comfortable in.

Many women were happy just to wear the darling frocks they give you in the hospital (wearing two back to back to cover all 'bases' so to speak) so that they would not mess up their own bed clothing.

Some women prefer to bring a nightie, not too long as to get all twisted up around the legs, as opposed to jammies with pants, for easier access to surgical sites.

A lightweight robe came in handy for me, to throw over the hospital wear before I changed into my own nightie.

As for the pillow - I think the smaller size pillows worked best for the job it was doing -- protecting my tender tummy.

Best wishes!
Unread 02-24-2002, 07:15 AM

Lynda

I am taking a small travel pillow to the hospital with me. I think the pillow to take is what you feel will work best for you, although that is me speaking with no experience (YET).

As for clothes, I am not taking any of my own pjs to the hospital. I know many have suggested it due to the back opening gowns but on the chance that I have any bleeding I don't want to mess up my stuff (ever again!). I am taking a nice new robe so that while I am up and around I can keep the rear side of myself covered!

For home, I bought a button up the front nightgown (pretty with pink flowers on it).

Like I said, I haven't been crowned yet but I thought I'd just throw out what I have packed and waiting for the voyage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 07:24 AM

see what I mean about getting all the help I can - me - who honest to god, has never had a period longer than 6 days, is now on day - whatever - it came 2 days late and never left - still using a tampax a day - and , this is the killer - I never thought about messing up my nice new stuff - I will bring a robe that I can live with being wricked - and mabe i will bring my nail polished gown as well -it has access to listen tomy heart, whilch I am sure will be pounding so effectively they won't really need a stethoscope, and I can pin a sign on the polish saying "this is the result of brain fog" - not a cardiac bleed
Unread 02-24-2002, 07:26 AM
Pillows, Nighties, guest, Oh My!!

Hello there ljblank

I think i giggled all threw your post. LOL

As for your pillow dilemma. Take whatever you will be comfortable with. It really doesn't matter from what room it came from . Also keep in mind a favorite bedroom pillow might be a good idea. Castle pillows really are not the greatest in comfort.

PJ's) Well i used the castle gown due to having and IV all three days there and a cath. But i did take a nice robe & Slippers to wear threw the day and for my walks in the halls. I did take 2 light weight gowns that had no buttons and were easy to take on and off. I was spotting some and did not want to risk messing them up.

I didn't care to have many visitors. My dbf came and helped care for me much of the day but that was about enough. I was in and out of it a lot the first 24 hours and after that still not up to a crowded room.

Things to read). I took two books and never got to them. The pain meds and my on and off dozing off left little interest for them. Music is a wonderful idea though, very calming.

I also took some bottled water. Tap water is just not my thing.

Good luck and i hope you get packed w/out needing a bell hop LOL j/k
Unread 02-24-2002, 07:44 AM
i was just getting serious about packing my bag...

my surgery is this week on thurs..ya'll have inspired me... iwill where the castle gowns,so not to mess up my nice things i just bought for this event. i will only bring lip balm,toothbrush,slippers and robe for my walks. oh yeah and my own pillow!! that simplifies my life! in fact i just may go out this afternoon and buy something comfy to wear to the hopital and back home. this is great to communicate with ya'll. love ya'll pamela!
Unread 02-24-2002, 08:14 AM

I was going to post this very question today too!

I have just about everything, except for slippers. Planning on getting those today.

Pillow to sleep on or pillow for stomach support? I was thinking about taking a sleeping pillow...I love my pillow, didn't know how the hospitals would react to that though. I was going to ask at the pre-op on Tuesday.

Thanks for answering most of my questions!

Sara
Unread 02-24-2002, 09:15 AM

well, I am bringing a weekender on wheels, no question about it - I can just hear my sister now "I'm not putting that in my car" ---and my assertive (valium induced calm per MD instruction - go ahead take a whole one for the ride to the hosp. so what if it makes you fuzzy - you're not driving") - response, nicely spoken, "don't be silly, I won't go without it", and you have that monster size van...

in the old days when chemotherapy patients spent a week in the hosp - and i worked with them , on the floor I am going to be "punctured on" - they all brought their own pillows, stuffed animals, books, sweats, with access to IV, and sometimes their own sheets! - now, 6 yers later everyone is even more customer/consumer conscious, and they take RSVPs very seriously - especially the complaints - bring whatever you want - I am thinking of posting a sign that says (not completely thought out yet) beware - herein lies a hormonally deprived, allergic, person (at last check) enter at your own risk ---no
pets, perfume, flowers, ciggarretts, or children allowed...no laughing, no coughing,and
Unread 02-24-2002, 10:48 AM

Hi again Lynda, you sound pretty well prepared...

I brought 2 short cotton knit nightgowns, they're the easiest because the nurses will have to keep checking your pad to make sure you're not bleeding too much, and also you may have a catheter coming out from under there...the first day though I was too out of it to bother putting one on and just stayed in the hospital gown. (Later I was glad I did because when I did get up I found that I had been sitting in a pool of blood in the hospital gown, which became their laundry problem, not mine.) I had brought a cute washable fleece "throw" and put that around my shoulders so I could effect some pretense of looking glamorous...I guess it worked because everybody said I looked great (or maybe that's just my brain fogged memory of it). I had fuzzy light blue slip-on slippers with pink kitties appliqued on them and feather trim...very whimsical and the nurses loved them. As it turns out my roomie had some equally fun slippers and we were the talk of the floor...

I brought a portable DVD player and some DVDs because the nurse at my preop visit told me the TV reception at the castle is awful...as it turned out I never used it. The first day I couldn't focus well enough to watch a 1/2 hour sitcom on TV let alone a 2 hour movie, and by the second day I was too busy trying to pee (whole other story there).

The bottled water or other drinks from home is a nice idea and if you do that, be sure to tell the nurses because they may be charting how much you drink and how much you pee...

I found that lip gloss/chap stick/whatever you use for that, and a hairbrush, and some type of astringent pads (stridex, noxzema, whatever, especially nice if you have oily skin) felt great and I used them all every couple of hours during the day.

As for pillows, everybody's different. I had only the hospital pillows because I hadn't thought of that. There were 2 behind me and one between my knees. I didn't like that they had plastic covers under the pillowcases (they were a little hot and crinkly) but on the other hand I wasn't going to have to wash them, was I? I appreciated that when I woke up in my room they had already put a pillow between my knees. I have to sleep that way at home anyway because of a bad back. If you have any issues there let me pass along a tip, as I have tried a lot of pillows for that purpose and most of them are either horribly uncomfortable or they slip out during the night...I've found that the "dog bone"shaped neck pillows (here we have them at Walgreens for $7.99 in all kinds of cute prints, even with little tab handles on each end to make retrieving them easier) are perfect. They fit in there and stay there without having to be attached to your leg.

You are going to be the most prepared ever!

Good luck and

- Linda

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register