portable CD players and the castle | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

portable CD players and the castle portable CD players and the castle

Unread 02-24-2002, 09:21 AM
portable CD players and the castle

here's one for you pampered princesses - did any of you bring a stereo - small boom box with you - I want my headset for surgery and the ride in the car (my sister won't listen to relaxation tapes) - but I am remembering from my days as an employee in this hospital, that all electrical appliances were frowned upon and had to be checked out by the electrical dept before use - you should have seen the fit the head nurse had when she found a guy hooked up to his laptop and working off of his bed tray - whew - what is the current take

and if they are not allowed - at times we both might want music, just music, not relaxation tapes - do you think it is worth it to call ahead and plead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 09:36 AM

Hi Lynda!

I did not take any music with me, but I have read about many who have.

It might be a good idea to give them a call to make sure it will be OK for you to bring in and use them, although the only point they might be stuck on is that the hospital will not assume responsibility for any valuables, including your jambox.
Unread 02-24-2002, 10:25 AM

For my last surgery, I brought a Walkman with me...never used it. I think that a small CD Walkman type thing would be better than a plug-in thing...no room and probably wouldn't be encouraged...might disturb neighbors, get cord caught on stuff, etc.

Also, never bring ANYTHING with you that you wouldn't mind losing. As safe as we hope our hospitals are, expensive electronic equipment can vanish during a bathroom break or walk down a hall. I'd stick with the smallest possible player, one that can be easily stashed in your drawer or overnight bag when you will be sleeping or out of the room.

Just my cautious nature!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 10:34 AM

Lynda, I was an RN for 20 years, and in my experience, you won't be able to use an electronic plug-in device unless the hospital's engineering department has approved it in advance. A walkman would be a better choice, if you want to bring music.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 02-24-2002, 10:36 AM

Hi LJ!

My TAH/BSO surgery was 2/13/02 and I brought in my bag my Walkman cassette player w/ my relaxation tape. When my husband was visiting, I asked him to get it out of my bag so I could listen to it at night w/ my headphones on so I wouldn't bother my roommate. Even one night, I called in a nurse asst. to get her to let my roommate listen to my tape player too, and nothing was said at that point.

I'd check with the doctor or hospital and see if they have any policy against electrical devices.

I thought it was VERY well worth it to bring along my tapes. Only cable around here carries CMT (which is OK), but didn't want to expose roommates w/ that if they didn't want it.

Giving super s to you and your sister and praying for a speedy recovery!!

SugarB
Unread 02-24-2002, 11:36 AM

Well, I am stealing my sons MP3 player. Hey, these kids have to be good for something other than my worry about how to care for them post castle stay.

I am not much into relaxation but give me some good old fashioned heavy metal and I can drift off into the best sleep! So, Me, Ozzy and Metallica as wel as some of our other good friends are ready to visit the castle!!! Now....wondering if the castle is ready for a visit from us?
Unread 02-24-2002, 01:46 PM

LD, I'm jealous...I want one of those MP3 players!

Ozzy and Metallica aren't my type, but I grew up liking AC/DC and Guns n Roses. Now I like Shania Twain and Ricky Martin. What's wrong with me?? Its the Midwest...that's what did it. Too much country influence! ha ha ha

The is out here and it's great, warm, and 63 degrees. But then snow is forecasted for tonight. Now how strange is that??? Ready to when spring gets here.
Unread 02-24-2002, 02:47 PM

I saw this thread and I'm loading up my Rio MP3 player right now! It is small enough I can hide it in my bag.

Thanks for the idea, wasn't sure what to do...

Sara
Unread 02-26-2002, 10:46 AM

hi lynda!
my dh is in the electronics business, so he brought a portable cd player home for me, that i brought to the castle.
i went to borders and got a "music for healing" cd.
the nurses, my dr. and the anesthesiologist were all supportive, and the anes. restarted the cd when it ended.
i am not sure if it worked, i've been healing fine without complications i am 4 weeks post, today. and dr. released me to all activites ( except sex).
best wishes,
remember to walk, walk, walk, drink, drink, drink and rest, rest, rest.
Unread 02-26-2002, 12:38 PM
My portable CD player died

I brought a DiskMan to the castle. During a really bad night, it died! Funny part is the DiskMan was a 20 years' service award from the place I work - the hospital where I was having the hyst!

But anyway, if you're bringing a battery operated player, don't forget extra batteries - just in case!

Good luck with your surgery!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register