recovery time - how to keep from being bored?? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery time - how to keep from being bored?? recovery time - how to keep from being bored??

Unread 02-24-2002, 05:57 PM
recovery time - how to keep from being bored??

Gee, my days were so action packed, I don't know how you could possibly be bored! I sat and read, sat and watched tv (I too really hate Dr. Phil), sat and drank lots of water (do you see a pattern here?) The only good thing that came out of the sitting was catching up on reading and catching up on some letters that I owed people. This website is also a good way to waste an hour or two. Don't think about being bored, just think of how much healing your body is doing. I know that isn't great advice, but it's about all I can think of! Trust me, if you try to do too much, you will regret it (I speak from experience!).

Happy healing!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 06:08 PM

Ljaie,
??? OKAY< did I read something wrong??? Are you only about 4 weeks postop, and DANCING AND HIKING??? Something is wrong with this picture!!!!! That is NOT the norm, please tell me, someone!!!! Here is little ole me, just trying to make laps thru the house, and then I read that you are doing THAT???!!
HELP!!!
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:37 PM

I relished all the time I had off since I have worked for 27 years. I have read, slept, played on the computer, done puzzles....

It was really nice and I have 1 more week and then back to work I go. I am not looking forward to it but I guess I have to go....

My kids are 17 and 20. My daughter is married and not at home. My son is gone all the time so I did not have any little ones to take care of. Thank goodness because I do not think I could....

I just celebrated my 22 wedding anniversary (yesterday) and my birthday was a week ago...I was off so I got to rest and went out to eat and did not have to hurry to work the next day...It was heavenly !!

It is also a time just for yourself because you cannot do anything nor do you want to at first.....

Just relax and enjoy !!! Hugs Teresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 07:01 PM
bored after surgery

LHKARDS,
LOL...and giggles...I don't know! But, yes, I am out doing all that stuff...but not overdoing it or anything. I still hurt inside but not bad really. I guess we all heal differently aye? My gyn is excellent. She said that I am healing unusually fast but maybe it's because I sat on my behind for 2 weeks. I rested really well for 2 weeks. I laugh A LOT! And let me tell you....those belly laughs do hurt..which makes you laugh even more...egad! I'm just glad it's over with cause when I came out and was in recovery, I felt like I had been in for a quick visit to hell. Went away pretty fast, and as of now...my tummy may be big, fat, crooked, and funny looking...but knock on wood...I have very little pain, and no blood...I thank my maker just about every day for giving me these good days...I feel quite fortunate...take care TH...another woman I know had hers in November and she's still having a hard time...poor thing. What can I say...My mom says I've always been a little weird...bye for nowLJ
Unread 02-25-2002, 06:10 AM

God bless you! I am 3.5 weeks post-op and am praying for the day when I can go back to work. Never thought I'd say that. I just want to feel good again. I've been taking davocet (about 2-3) every day. Yesterday I was out and hurting and took a couple of extra strenght excedrin from a friend and they did just as well. Going to get my own today!!!

Unread 02-25-2002, 06:30 AM

Fran,
I was taking Darvocet, too, and wasn't feeling too good. It helped with pain, but I was nauseous, and had sluggish bowels. The nurse suggested Aleve or Ex.Strength Tylenol. I quit the Darvocet on Friday, have been on Aleve since then and I feel better!!! I've been drinking lots of water to try and flush the pain meds out of my system.
You might try that, too.
Unread 02-25-2002, 06:57 AM

Fran, that sounds like a good idea (Excedrin) I will also try some because I am running low on Darvocet and I do not know if he will refill. I am at 5 wks post today...How long did you take pain meds??? I was just wondering if I should be still taking them. I only take 1 at night because I am sore then....Any ideas????

Hugs Teresa
Unread 02-25-2002, 07:00 AM

I was reading everyones comments and I will have to admit, I to hate Dr. Phil. All he does is beat around the bush and I do not think he ever resolved any issue that he was asked about. I am not a doctor but I think I could do better than him ??!! HA HA

Hugs, Teresa
Unread 02-25-2002, 07:52 AM
passing the time

I'm nearly 4 months post-op.
(I arranged 4 months off work) and the time has flown by. I dont know where the months have gone. I start back to work on 4th March (I'm a childminder, Feeling a bit nervous actually)
Enjoy your time while you can - It will be gone before you know it.
Unread 02-25-2002, 08:01 AM

The first two weeks I pretty much vegged, did some very minor stuff around the house (light dusting and a few dishes). I made a list each morning after two weeks of things I wanted to accomplish during the day, each day adding something new and made note of any activity that was too much! Books, crossword puzzles, TV (hooked on The Other Half), naps, and Hystersisters. It is amazing when you are moving slower than usual how much time it takes to accomplish some of the things you would just fly through before surgery. Once I could drive, I made a point to drive somewhere everyday to get me out of the house and talking to people. Sometimes I would just go to the store to pick up a loaf of bread! Honestly more often it was to KMart and sometimes all I did was walk up and down the aisles for my exercise. It is frustrating now that I am feeling much better and all I can think of is stripping some wallpaper out of one of the rooms.....but I am holding off! Since I have always worked I am using this time as my time; it may never happen again!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register