sex before surgery?!?!?!? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sex before surgery?!?!?!? sex before surgery?!?!?!?

Unread 02-24-2002, 02:12 PM
sex before surgery?!?!?!?

Hello everyone,
I am scheduled for a TAH this Tuesday. I am embarrassed to ask this, but want to know if it is alright to have sex the day before surgery?

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 04:34 PM

Cindy,

My advice would be to call your doctor's office tomorrow and ask them. We aren't medical personnel here and really can't know if it would be harmful or not.

Karen
Unread 02-24-2002, 04:48 PM

Cindy - I agree with Karen...give your drs. office a call and ask them. All pre-op instructions are different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 05:52 PM

All due respect! are you nuts! Just kidding, this was the last thing on my mind before surgury. Good Luck with your surgury!
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:41 PM

I do not know about that. I was in so much pain before surgery I never even thought about that !!!!! You need to call the doctor and see what he says. Good Luck !!

Hugs, Teresa
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:49 PM
why not

I'm no doctor, but why not if you are feeling okay otherwise. I did and didn't regret it. I finally stopped bleeding long enough that we wanted that closeness. I did not have other symptoms or pain that would have prevented it. I told my doctor later and her attitude seemed like good for you. If your uncomfortable or having some symptoms that may have prevented intimacy previously, you may want to check with your doctor first. Good luck.
Unread 02-25-2002, 04:47 AM

Sex before surgery????? Heck, I'm just hoping I'll be able to have sex again after surgery. And, while I am hoping my husband is lighting candles and saying prayers!
Unread 02-25-2002, 04:57 AM

I had sex the nite prior of surgery (TVH-BSO) with no ill effects, in fact it was good for me emotionally (OK and physically too )
I doubt that it would make any difference if you had no restrictions from your doc prior; however if you are looking for an official "green light" a call to the doc's office would be in order. And don't be embarrassed to ask, they have heard everything!

Unread 02-25-2002, 06:28 AM

I haven't had my surgery yet, but my doc gave me orders to do a medicated douche as part of my prep the night before.....

IMHO....and I am no doctor......if you were to make love to your DH prior to the prep I'd say go for it!

Believe me when I say that if I can..I will! I haven't seen my DH since September and he will only be here for a month. We will hopefully have 2 nights before the surgery to play a little catch up. And we have a LOT to catch up on!! LOL

But I would concur with everyone else, if you have symptoms where sex might not be a good idea, call your doctor's office. After all, I assume it's an OB/GYN....and if it weren't for sex, he wouldn't have a job! LOL

Good luck!

Nakona
Unread 02-25-2002, 09:37 AM
No one told me no

Its a loonnngggg wait after surgery, and I needed the comfort of closeness that last day.

Hint - they never never never do surgery without betadining the world, it wouldn't be anything they hadn't seen before, so what would be the problem?

They will be very specific in telling you "no", they will give it to you in writing. If they have not told you "NO" and you feel up to it there should be absolutely no problem. If you are to use a betadine douche, then you shouldn't contaminate the site afterwards even though they will most likely repeat the betadine once you're out.

Doctors do not expect celibacy, unless you have been given instructions to abstain.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register