Finally scheduled Hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Finally scheduled Hysterectomy Finally scheduled Hysterectomy

Unread 02-24-2002, 02:48 PM
Finally scheduled Hysterectomy

I've been reading the pre-op support messages for about 3 weeks. A good friend told me about this site and I have gotten a wealth of information.
My TVH and bladder repair is scheduled for March 6. I am still deciding if I should keep my ovaries. I'm 42. My doctor said he recommends women under 40 keep them, over 45 have them removed, but between 40-45 it's entirely their decision. Is hormone replacement therapy difficult to adjust to? I like the idea of never having to worry about ovarian cancer since I just watched my aunt lose her struggle with it.
Also, has anyone had bladder repair and found that it made a big difference with stress incontinence. I'd love to be able to run again without having to worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 04:28 PM

Hi Mustang,

I'm glad you decided to come out and say "hi".

I had a TVH with repairs for a rectocele and cystocele six months ago. I am 56, and in my case, I did keep my ovaries, but my doctor didn't ask me and I didn't know enough, at that time, to ask if I had a choice. I'm so sorry that your aunt lost her battle with her cancer.

Have you visited the Hormone Jungle board? The ladies there are very knowledgeable and might be able to answer your questions about adjusting to HRT if you don't keep your ovaries. Although I still have mine, I had been going through menopause for 3 years and take HRT to keep my hormone levels on an even keel.

As to the stress incontinence, I'm not a runner, but I do feel that I have much more control than before the surgery.

Please come back and let me know what you eventually decide.

's,

Karen
Unread 02-24-2002, 05:26 PM

Hi! I had a TAH/BSO done almost 5 months ago. My doctor left it entirely up tome..as far as taking the ovaries, or leaving them. I am 41 years old. He told me they would stop functioning soon, anyway...and less worry if taken out. I told him to take them out.
I'd rather decrease the chance of having to go back in for another surgery by having everyhting taken out. It's not like I"m a 20 or 30 year old. I am not on hormones, either. I chose NOT to. Would rather put up with a few hot flashes, than worry about the risks associated with hormones. Good luck in your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 07:29 PM

Hi Mustang, I'm 45 and had my surgery almost 3 weeks ago. I elected to remove the ovaries on my DR's recommendation because of the risk of ovarian cancer and also because my DR said it would simplify the HRT situation. HRT is a very individual thing, and you'll get lots of great info on the Hormone Jungle board, but for me all it is so far is an estrogen patch which started the day of surgery, and I've had no symptoms at all; in fact all the perimenopausal stuff I had before the surgery has gone away. As for the incontinence, yes, it absolutely has improved things for me. The "acid test" was that a few days ago I suddenly sneezed, and tried to cross my legs real fast but didn't make it, and nothing happened! No leaking! That was good enough for me. Good luck with whatever you decide,

s,

- Linda
Unread 02-24-2002, 09:07 PM

Hi Mustang!

I had a TAH/BSO on Feb. 4, 2002. I will be three weeks post-op tomorrow. My doctor left the choice up to me about keeping the ovaries or not since I am 41. This website is a wealth of information, and had helped me a great deal in making my decision. My mother had uterine and ovarian cancer when she was 58 so I had the doctor take the ovaries out because I didn't want to worry about getting that later in life since my mother had it. My doctor did start me on HRT the day after surgery. I'm taking Estrace 1 mg once a day. So far I have not had any hot flashes, night sweats, or any other menopausal synptoms. My perimenopausal symptoms are gone too! Talk this over with your doctor and see what their reccomendation is. Do some research before you talk with your doctor. Maybe leave the decision up to your doctor during surgery and let him decide what to do. This is a huge decision to make, so take your time. Best wishes.

Joan

Unread 02-25-2002, 01:30 PM

I'm glad I found this thread!

I'm 37 and I have been scheduled for a TAH. The ovary issue was left up to me. I have been in peri-menopause for almost 2 years now. I was on Prempro and the docs believe that's what made the fibroids grow.

I have decided to keep my ovaries, unless they are diseased then they will come out. No cancer, luckily, that I know of in my family.

Hm, odd how they gave me a choice...but good that they did!

Good to know that the peri-menopausal symptoms may go away...

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register