ovary questions, Vag hyst | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovary questions, Vag hyst ovary questions, Vag hyst

Unread 02-24-2002, 06:19 PM
ovary questions, Vag hyst

Since my ovaries have been "lazy" for the past year, does that mean that the sudden "surgical menopause" will not be quite so severe for me? I have been using Biest cream for a couple of years and love it; will I be able to continue it with a revised dosage post op? Also, I'm not seeing many comments about VH with cystocele/rectocele repair recovery issues. (I have multiple fibroids, endometriosis, 2nd degree prolapse of uterus, cystocele and rectocele). Have been feeling confident until today, 2 weeks preop. I have a business trip scheduled 4 weeks post op--will I make it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 06:30 PM
Mikie

Hugs!! You did not mention wether the ovaries are being removed when the hyst is done so can not help alot there. I had an lavh/rso and major bladder repair done in sep of last year. I had severe endeo, fibroids and prolapsed uterus and bladder. I managed to keep one ovary and so far so good, it does not seem to be sleeping and is working ok. If your ovaries are left, then you will not go into surgical menopause. Ovaries can sleep for awhile but normally resume when they are good and ready. Please make sure that your DR answers all of your questions so that you feel more imformed and comfortable. There are lots here who have had vh or lavh with both repairs and have done well. I feel great now just get days when a little tierd but in general it was the best thing I ever did. Good luck, and remember any further questions please do not hesitate to post. Hugs Vicki
Unread 02-24-2002, 07:19 PM

Hi Mikie, I don't know about the ovary question but I had a TVH/BSO/A&P repair/resuspension on 2/4, almost 3 weeks ago. My unhesitating answer to your question about the business trip at 4 weeks is, "NFW"!!!! !!!!
I thought I was cutting it close, I have to go to Japan at 8 weeks post, and that was why I had the surgery when I did -- the DR wouldn't clear me to go unless it had been that long, and I couldn't wait until after the trip.
There are lots of posts about TVH with A&P repair, I've left many myself...you might try doing a search; also feel free to email me any time if you'd like.
Good luck and lots of

- Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 04:50 AM

I am 53 and had a TVH-BSO. My theory, since I was already going thru the change, was while in there clean house! I am on an Estraderm patch post op and after almost 5 weeks have not had any problems with dealing with a surgical menopause. Ovary removal is a very personal decision, gather as much info as you can so you are comfortable with the surgery being performed. As for the business trip at 4 weeks- I would think long and hard about that! It could make your recovery longer than needs to be. Remember that at 6 weeks, you will be only 40% healed on the inside. There won't be an incision to deal with, but the same work is done on the inside! Good luck with your decision.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register