Very Scared | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-24-2002, 07:23 PM
Very Scared

I want to thank you for the posts for the LIW on 2/26. I want to see if any of you were so scared that everytime you think about it, you cried. Well, I'm at that point right now. I have been listening to the relaxing cd's, and trying to keep my off the surgery, but I can't. I'm so scared that I am not going to come out of this alive. I went to church earlier and prayed that everything is going to be all right. I kind of feel little better. I know my emotions are taking over. I am beginning to have second thoughts.

I guess I am scared of not making it, the pain, side affects, sexual arousal/feeling orgasims again, bladder incontenance, etc. I thought I could find relief here from those of you who have already gone through it.

HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 07:41 PM
Very Scared

Browniz, !!!

I'm scheduled for 3/13 and I'm scared too. Surgery is always a risk. For me, the risk is worth it.

I don't know yet what's on the other side, but if it helps, there's someone else out here struggling with fear too. I tell myself it's rare for people to die on the operating table, and that helps. Plus if I go, I probably won't even know it, being unconscious & all -- <grin> -- don't mean to be morbid, but sometimes, thinking about it like that helps me too.

You're not alone. Many thousands of women have gone through this, survived, and thrived. I plan to be one of them. I bet you will too. Looks like you go in this Tuesday. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Hang in there,

Melissa
Unread 02-24-2002, 07:42 PM
Very Scared

I have not had my surgery yet, but I just wanted to say that you are not alone. I feel the same way. Some days I am completely freaked out about the surgery....so afraid that I will die during the surgery...and other days I am very confident that I will be just fine. One thing that makes me feel better is that I have had surgery with this doctor 2 times and I did great both times...absolutely no complications at all. I have had general anesthesia 2 times and did fine with it. But I still have such a fear of general anesthesia.

Be sure to tell your doctor about your fears. He/she could probably help ease your mind a bit. Hang in there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 07:54 PM
Very Scared

Dear Browniz,

It looks like your surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, so you're getting close. I remember being a little scared and anxious before my surgery. I think most of us are a bit nervous at this point, and some ladies have shared fears of death, too. You're not alone in these feelings.

I've read some of your posts, so I feel like I know you a little now. I remember that you've had female problems for years now. You seem to have chosen your doctor and hospital carefully. You've made sensible preparations for taking care of yourself and your family after your surgery.

Let's take a close look at what I feel is the most important question. Are you ready to have this surgery? If you don't feel that this is the right choice for you, it's not too late to cancel or postpone the surgery. Please give that some thought.

If surgery is the right choice for you, then I'd like to suggest that you try to find some peace in the next day or so. Your other concerns seem valid to me, but you can't do anything about them right now. If you feel that surgery is right for you, then place a little trust in your doctor's skills, and the other questions will take care of themselves after your surgery.

I treated myself to a little shopping the day before my surgery, took special pleasure in my family the evening before, treated myself to a warm bath the night before, and prayed before we left for the hospital.

My surgery went well, I had a normal recovery, and I feel great now.

I won't tell you what to do, and I know you'll make the right choice for you. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for you. Please let us know how you're doing.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 02-24-2002, 08:35 PM
I Hope This Helps...

I read on some of the websites that I found before my hyst, that hysterectomy is the second most performed surgery in the US. It is also the surgery ranked LOWEST in complications and deaths. You have carefully chosen your and given this alot of thought. Though most of us here have been through this, and understand your fear completely, the wait is REALLY the worst part. If you are as miserable as i imagine you are with the problems that you have, believe us when we tell you you will be fine and will feel like a totally new person.
I really hope that you can find some peace in the next few days, and remember that we are all praying for you and anytime you want to vent we are here to listen and help any way we can.
Kelkie(Kelly)
Unread 02-24-2002, 08:48 PM
Thank You

I knew I could count on you all. I know I am doing the right thing because I have been miserable for a long time. My dr will do a great job. I will come out of this just fine. Thank you for your encouragement. I will make sure to post when I am able to. I will think positive and put those fears behind me.

Again Thank You All....
Unread 02-24-2002, 10:51 PM
Don't know what your religious preference is....

But I would like to add my blessings to those of others...in wishing you God's peace and care and mercy as you go through this part of your healing journey, Browniz!

May you know you are surrounded by love and good wishes every step of the way!! And remember as I am with great hope and joy that the Hystersisters....as well as your loving family....will be waiting to hear from you once you are home from the castle!! I am GREATLY encouraged by knowing that there is "life after the castle"....and abundant life at that from what I have read on this wonderful, wonderful website!

God Bless,
enbeejay :
Unread 02-25-2002, 06:42 AM
Very Scared

I feel the same way. I however am more fearfull about death because I don't want my family to be left alone. My children would have a VERY difficult time handling it if anything were to go wrong. they are just getting over my dad's death last year. My youngest took it especially hard. My husband also would have a REALLY tough time of it. We are best friends, and our relationship is very interdependent on each other. We will be celebrating out 25th anniversary in may. We were high school sweethears... I just am trusting in God to know all of this and to guide my surgeon's hands and all of the medical people around me and that I will come through this whole. I pray alot and i have my good days and my bad days that are often full of panic and tears.... it is a hard road this waiting is. People keep telling me that I should look for another dr. etc... but this guy is suppose to be very good its just that he is new to me.. since sept. when I went to him for this problem... he is very booked up and a busy surgeon so what am I to do.. I trust in God and try to keep my faith.... hang in there... my prayers are with you...
kara
Unread 02-25-2002, 06:47 AM
Very Scared

I know it's going to be okay because I have faith.

And, as I was crying last night, because of nerves, hubby came in and held me...*this is in the bathroom* I told him "What did I do so bad that I deserve this pain?" He told me "You didn't do anything bad. All those sisters you have been telling me about on the message board couldn't have done bad things either".

Now, that's a statement.

It will be okay girlies, have the faith in the surgeons and the staff at the castle.

The waiting is the rough part, because your mind plays the games with you. The "What If" game is going on with me right now.

Sara
Unread 02-25-2002, 08:09 AM
Fear.

I am 4 months post op.
The last time I had surgery, I developed Deep Vein Thrombosis.
So needless to say this time I was more than a little afraid. I found that after speaking to my consultant, and speaking to my surgeon, and asking lots of questions, and making some choices for myself, I could set my mind at rest that I had decided to have this surgery, no-one had talked me into it. What I did then was to make it clear to the nurses, anesthatist etc, that I was very afraid, and they did their job perfectly and took extra care to give me all their support, and in some cases never left me alone when I was most afraid. (thanks to them all)!
Hope this helps.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register