HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Impending Menopause Impending Menopause

Unread 04-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Impending Menopause

Greetings Ladies,
Pardon my lack of proper abbreviations, I'm going to wing this! In 2010 I had a total hysterectomy, abdominally because of PCOS, abnormal bleeding, horrible periods and precancerous cells on my cervix. I made the decision to leave my left ovary to prevent menopause at the time. Over the last few years obviously I haven't had an actual period, but have still cycled monthly with horrible cramping and mood swings. I've spoken to my dr. about it and due to a large amount of scar tissue (she says my insides are a mess) I would have to have another abdominal surgery so I've avoided having the ovary removed because of recovery time. Now I find myself with a large mass on the ovary. The radiologist called it a "cyst within a cyst". The gynecologist on call called it a "mass of some sort" perhaps a cyst and infection in the small remaining piece of tube that was remaining. When he felt my abdomen he said that he definitely felt a large mass and got very concerned. This mass is quite painful, causing numbness in my leg, painful intercourse, all I want to do is curl up and cry. Currently I'm managing on pain and nausea meds until Monday when I can see my own doc. He sent me for lab work to see if this mass is cancerous. The one recommendation this doc did make was to have the whole ovary removed. He said there is no way this mass can come out and the ovary be saved. I am a bit scared of menopause, nothing I read about it is good. I guess I could use a bit of insight into how it's managed, what questions to ask my doc about menopause? I'm nervous about my libido after the ovary is removed, figure changes (I've always struggled with weight, will it get worse), tiredness, activity level, hair growth, loss? etc. I'm only 33. Thanks so much.
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Re: Impending Menopause

Mrsmedina,
I'm sorry you are having problems with your remaining ovary.

While surgical menopause is not a walk in the park, it is not a death sentence either. I had my remaining half of an ovary removed at the time of my hysterectomy in 1996 at the age of 36. I knew nothing about hormones and didn't know what was happening when I experienced hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, etc.

But here I am 14 years later and doing really well. It did take me some time to get things figured out, but once I found hormonal balance it wasn't so bad. I am not overweight and still have a full head of hair.
You can read more about Menopause and hormones in the articles here Menopause
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Re: Impending Menopause

Mrsmedina,
I'm sorry you are having problems with your remaining ovary.

While surgical menopause is not a walk in the park, it is not a death sentence either. I had my remaining half of an ovary removed at the time of my hysterectomy in 1996 at the age of 36. I knew nothing about hormones and didn't know what was happening when I experienced hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, etc.

But here I am 14 years later and doing really well. It did take me some time to get things figured out, but once I found hormonal balance it wasn't so bad. I am not overweight and still have a full head of hair.
You can read more about Menopause and hormones in the articles here Menopause

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.