Extremely Nervous | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Extremely Nervous Extremely Nervous

Unread 02-24-2002, 10:16 PM
Extremely Nervous

Okay... I'm 16 days from surgery and I am freaking out. Part of me is afraid that DSHS will find some reason to cancel my TAH... and another part is scared about the surgery in general. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do with myself to make the time go by faster. I'm going nuts.

Wisdom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 10:35 PM
Hey Wisdom

I know how you feel. Look we must be freaking it's after midnight.... We should be sleeping, but what are we doing..... Thinking, posting.....I hear you sister, I think we have spoken in chat too. I am SAM. I've even had a pain med tonight and cant seem to relax and get some sleep. I'm 10 days away from my castle trip. To much to think about I think. I've read other posts that LIW have taken Tylenol PM. I wouldn't suggest taking it too late, you might have that tired feeling when you wake up....Good luck sister. I hope all goes well with your trip......
Unread 02-24-2002, 10:40 PM
Extremely Nervous

Wisdom, I too am waiting for my surgery (2 1/2 weeks away). I've run the gamut from pure joy to fear to wondering if I really deserve it (amazing what those nasty little gremlins in my head will do to beat me up!).

What helps me (right now) is journaling about my feelings, writing about my final bout of PMS and my final period (coming soon), exercising and doing yoga, and adhering strictly to an 11:00 rule: After 11 p.m., I am not allowed to think or talk about my surgery. If I forget (and I always do), I just correct myself and think about something else -- what I'm going to do tomorrow, meals to cook, things to clean. I find preparing helps calm me -- cooking, cleaning, making a shopping list -- but being really firm with myself after 11:00 is the only thing that lets me sleep!

Good luck. Hang in there. It will all be over soon, and then you can give me advice and tell me about your experience!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 05:24 AM
Extremely Nervous

I so understand the nerves. I kept hoping that magically I would stop bleeding and the pain would go away and I could cancel my surgery! Then I was afraid that my blood pressure would be too high in the pre op and they would cancel my surgery! ( I don't have hypertension, just when I get stressed out the blood pressure readings go sky high!) It helped to work right up to the day of surgery, that occupied my mind for most of the day. I did find making lists helped me.....list of questions, list of things I wanted to do before surgery and after surgery. I did try to concentrate on the positives of the surgery- no more periods, no more rushing to the store when supplies were low, no more being caught "off guard", no more being disappointed that my vacation was disrupted due to bleeding, no more pain, no more planning my life around that time of the month (which for me was twice a month!), getting to wear white pants, and sex whenever! Maybe a list of the positives is a good idea too! Hang in there, it is so much better on the post side!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register