Blood during Surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood during Surgery Blood during Surgery

Unread 02-25-2002, 03:07 AM
Blood during Surgery

Hi... A quick note... My dh asked me this last night and I didn't know the answer. During surgery (I'm having a TAH do they have to give you any blood? If so I would like to possibly give (even though I am a ) before then so I can use my own or someone in my family's!!

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 03:29 AM
Blood during Surgery

Some women do elect to bank their own blood in case it's needed during surgery. However, there is normally such a small amount of blood loss that a transfusion isn't required. If you want to put your mind at ease you might want to ask your doctor's opinion.

Best wishes,
Unread 02-25-2002, 03:32 AM
Blood during Surgery

Hi Rox,

I don't remember seeing any posts about having to have a blood transfusion under normal circumstances. But just to be sure, (and to give yourself time to donate if you want to), why don't you give your doctor's office a call today and ask them whether there is a chance that you might need blood.

I can certainly understand why you would want to have your own (or a family member or friend's) on hand.

You could also do a search on the word transfusion and see if there are any posts about it.

Let us know what you find out from your doctor, please.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 04:32 AM
Transfusions

I am off to the hopsital today for a type and screen just in case I need some type of transfusion during my surgery. I was told it was "sometimes" necessary. I wanted to donate my own blood but didn't have the time to do it. Hoping things go smoothly without a transfusion!
Unread 02-25-2002, 05:29 AM
Blood during Surgery

Due to my long bleeding history, I had a low hemoglobin and iron. I too was afraid that I might have to have a transfusion, but in the usual case, transfusions are rarely given for a hysterectomy. As my hemoglobin and iron were stable and did not drop after surgery, I did not receive blood. I hope you have a good experience!

Unread 02-25-2002, 06:16 AM
Blood during Surgery

I agree, check with your doctor. If you have the time (usually at least six weeks before surgery to start...one unit, then wait a week or two, then another unit is the norm) and are not anemic, it's a comfortable bit of insurance to have.

I have banked my own blood before all my major surgeries. Didn't ever need it until the hyster. But I had some complications due to severe adhesions and things took longer...I was transfused the morning after my surgery with my own two units.

Check with your doctor, and if conditions are right, you might want to do it. We have had many threads on this in the past....try running a search with our search engine above to read.

Karen
Unread 02-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Blood for surgery

Hi..I am having surgery on Monday March 4 and can tell you my experience with donating my own blood. The doctor does not know yet if a hysterectomy will be necessary, but he has had me donate two pints of blood. You cannot donate too far before surgery (I think 6 weeks might be too much) or the blood is not good. I went last Tuesday to donate the first pint and they found my vein but the blood just stopped and then they could not find another vein. I went back Friday and they had more success. I go again tomorrow morning to give the other pint. There must be 72 hours between donations, not a week as someone said. In today's day and age it is better not to take chances with getting someone else's blood if you can help it. If you cannot donate, then find a trusted friend or family member who can. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 02-25-2002, 03:45 PM
Blood during Surgery

I spoke to my surgeon at my pre-op appointment about banking blood after seeing posts about it on this site.

In his 35 years as a surgeon, he says his patients have never needed one. Sometime if they are low BEFORE surgery they might need to have a transfusion. His opinion of a surgeon having the patient bank blood meant that the surgeon was not either skilled enough or confident in his work. This is just his opinion. He almost seemed offended that I brought it up.

Hope this helps.
Unread 02-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Bank Blood -Red Cross

You will need to find out if your hospital can draw and store this blood. If not the Red Cross charges $60 per unit of blood stored and there is the problem of where this blood will be sent to be stored if they don't have a storage site where you live. Also even though it's your blood they have it tested which doesn't make sense to me seeing it's for your use only.

Most Ins. Co. won't reimburse you for the storage unless your blood is used during your surgery.

My Sister found this out before she had her breast removed due to cancer. She had 2 units stored and none was used.

There is alot to find out before you have blood stored.

Just thought everyone might be interested.

bjmc
Unread 02-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Blood for Surgery

Lisa34...My surgeon is very highly respected. I have been told by several people, including nurses at the hospital, that he has "worked miracles." His asking me to bank blood has nothing to do with his lack of confidence or skill. Every person reacts differently to surgery and I have been told in the past I bleed more than usual. Your doctor doesn't know how you will react during surgery until he is doing the surgery. It is only common sense that the blood be banked "just in case". My previous doctor also had me bank blood 7 years ago when I had an ovary removed and she wasn't sure if I would need a hysterectomy. If your doctor seemed offended by your asking a very reasonable question, I would worry that he is over confident and he sounds a bit cocky to be criticizing other doctors for what is a common practice. The blood may not be used..but I am more comfortable in knowing it will be there if I need it.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register