Tvh | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Tvh

I am scheduled for a TVH on March 14, but I'm getting conflicting information about required recovery times. My doctor has said that some patients have had the surgery on a Thursday (as I am) and returned to work by Monday or Tuesday.

Right now I am working at home due to unpredictable and very heavy bleeding, but if I'm going to need a lot time after surgery, I need to find a way to be in work now. Another big issue is that we are closing on a new home on March 27 and I'm stressing about packing and moving so close to surgery date.

Does anyone have good information on this expected recovery time? Also, I am expecting only to have a spinal, although because of my nervousness, I make request a general at my pre-op appointment. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 10:50 AM
Tvh

Hi, Shan0621,

I had a TVH/BSO. For most women, the initial recovery period after a TVH is six to eight weeks. It takes six months to a year to heal completely after a TVH. During the first six to eight weeks, it's best to rest, drink water, walk, and rest some more.

My doctor told me to spend the first two weeks after my surgery reclining, with my feet elevated. I was then able to GRADUALLY resume normal activities. My two complaints after my surgery were back pain, which made sitting up extremely uncomfortable, and extreme fatigue. For me, it took six weeks for my energy to return.

Women who are active before the six to eight weeks initial recovery period risk complications, such as vaginal bleeding, and the formation of adhesions.

I've read a few posts from women who returned to work before the six to eight week initial recovery period. These women often complain of experiencing pain and fatigue, and to me, they sound miserable.

My doctor released me to do "anything I felt like doing, except sex" after three weeks. Although I had his permission to be active, my body just wasn't ready. I listened to my body, which instructed me to REST, and it took three more weeks before I felt ready for normal daily activities.

In my experience, you probably won't be able to pack or be involved in the demanding activities of moving so soon after this major surgery. You may want to consider postponing your surgery, so you can move first.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 02-25-2002, 12:04 PM
Tvh

hi I had tvh on jan 7 2002 and the only thing I did not do was lift anything over ten pounds, just had my 6 week check up and back to jazzerise the next day, I did not lay around at all I was shopping at 1 week post op, just watch the lifting and baby yourself some, my dh did laundry and that wasa treat!!! now when I fill a basket full of dirty clothes I look around for someone to get them and they all look at me like I am crazy!!!! enjoy the pampering it just does not last that long!!!!!!
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 12:43 PM
Tvh

I agree with Helen. I had a lavh/rso and bladder repair last Sep, and my surgeon told me 6 to 8 weeks recovery. TVH and lavh may be easier with no large incision etc but there is still a whole heap of internal stitching there.
I stress that this is my own personal opinion, but I think it is unrealistic to think that in a week a woman should be able to return to normal work duties.
You have only one chance to heal properly and doing that there should be no complications. 6 to 8 weeks is not a long time compared to a lifetime. You will also probably be pretty tierd for awhile to come after the hyst. All the best and please let us know how it all goes. Hugs Vicki
Unread 02-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Recovery time

Well, I agree with both of you. I have TVH last May and feel wonderful. BUT when I had surgery I didn't. I tend to agree that if you are active before surgery, you're recovery time is shorter and sounds like princessh was just that. You will have to watch what you do and you DON'T do anything the first two weeks. I came back to work at two weeks working one day a week and not necessarily the whole day. Just listen to your body. It really speaks louder than you think.

Take care and God bless you and yours,
Unread 02-25-2002, 02:09 PM
Tvh

I had a TVH in June, the one thing I found was that I would tire very easily after surgery. I was not allow to drive for 2 weeks which I really didn't feel like going anywhere. At 5 week I went back to Dr. and he said I wasn't healed and shouldn't go back to work for another 2 or three weeks. That wasn't really a big concern for me since I work in the School I was off for the summer. I did go back to work a week before I went back at 8 weeks. I still tired easily, and would be sore a little after a long day. I know before surgery my Dr. had said alot of people go back to work at 4 weeks after a TVH, I guess that is up to the individual. I know I was glad I was off as long as I was.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register