Advice needed for long drives post op!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice needed for long drives post op!! Advice needed for long drives post op!!

Unread 02-25-2002, 01:57 PM
Advice needed for long drives post op!!

Hope some of the more experienced ladies can help, my drive home from the castle (TAH/BSO) is one hour and then, ten days post op I have my post op visit which means two hours total in the car (one hour each way). Obviously my DH will be driving but am looking for advice as to how to make this as comfortable as possible.
Appreciate any input!
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 02:13 PM
Debbie

Hi! About the trip home from the castle and back for post op check. My advice is that upon leaving the castle maybe it would be an idea to ask for some sort of pain med just in case. Also have a soft tummy pillow with you. Put the pillow in between the seatbelt and your tummy, it will act like a cuishon and should help to stop any jarring and rubbing of the belt etc. I used my tummy pillow for about the first two weeks when going anywhere in the car, it was great. also it is good to hold when you are walking around incase of having to sneeze or cough, you can brace yourself with the pillow. Good luck and keep us posted Hugs Vicki
Unread 02-25-2002, 02:26 PM

HI Debbie

I had my DH bring my car to the castle (a Dodge Neon) vs. his Dodge Ram pickup (issue with getting up in it). Anyways, I wish we would have borrowed a "better riding car" than the Neon, as I felt EVERY pothole and divet in the road.

Just an idea....bring the smoothest riding vehichle you own or can borrow !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the tips - shall make sure the car is full of pillows to pad me with! That's a great suggestion to take some pain meds before leaving, shall let you know how I get on.
Less than four weeks, the count down and lists begin and the anxiety level rises!! Really appreciate all the help you are all giving me.

Debbie
Unread 02-26-2002, 07:53 AM
Short stop

Debbie,
One other suggestion is to take a stand up and walk break after about ah hour in the car. I took an hour and half ride home at 6 weeks post and stopped after 45 minutes, walked around and got something to drink at a McDonalds. It really made a world of difference and made the drive more tolerable. Sitting is an activity too so sitting for two hours will really be rough on your inside stitches.

Just a suggestion,
Janie
Unread 02-26-2002, 09:30 AM

These are all great suggestions. Another thing I did was put a plastic garbage bag on the seat to help me "swivel" into and out of the car. It was difficult coming home from the hospital when I didn't have it and when it was suggested to me, I couldn't believe how much it helped.

Good luck,
Pam
Unread 02-26-2002, 09:32 AM

I'd sure make sure I took my pain meds about 20 minutes before leaving the hospital so it takes effect for the ride home. I hope its not on bumpy roads!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register