HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

4 days post op.....labia swollen! 4 days post op.....labia swollen!

Unread 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM
4 days post op.....labia swollen!

I just had my abdominal hysterectomy on Monday and today I noticed that my labia is swollen more on one side then the other and it's purple and bruised? I have been up walking around a lot more today and it seems better now that I'm back sitting again. There is no pain or discomfort just scared me a little? Has anyone else experienced this?
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Re: 4 days post op.....labia swollen!

I'm wondering if it was how they had your positioned during surgery, and if there was some instrument pressing against you near spot. You might have had some internal bruising, but gravity is now pulling it down so that it's noticeable to you know. I sure hope it feels better soon.
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM

Yes, one side of mine was a little larger after hyster. last week. I think everything has to reorganize itself after being jostled around? Mine doesn't hurt.
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the replies ladies! I've found since I've posted this that I'm swelling up in other places too....my legs and feet are swollen and of course around my abdomen! Last night was the first night I was able to sleep in my own bed so the swelling in my feet have improved greatly...until of course I'll be up and about today. I'm sure by the end of the day it will be back. From what I'm reading on here, the swelling will be around for awhile!
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:49 AM

The 2nd day after surgery my right labia was about 3 times larger than the left and my right groin area was very sore. It was so strange because I could feel it when I walked.

The swelling stayed that way for about 2-3 days. I have no idea what caused this, but you are not alone. Now at day 6, the swelling on the right side has gone down but the right labia is still little larger. I'm not super concerned because its getting smaller now, so I figured it must just be swelling and not something serious. Would love to hear from others...or know a definite reason for this! I was scared at first, too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.