My Fear is Killing Me - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Fear is Killing Me My Fear is Killing Me

Unread 02-26-2002, 11:53 AM
Good question

I'm glad someone asked the anesthesia mortality rate question. That's probably the first fear that pops up in my head.

I know of someone around hear who had a hard time because turned out she was allergic to the anesthesia. Is there a way to check you for that before you go in? What happens when you are allergic. Anyone know?

Best Wishes to you Gracie and I'm sure you'll do fine. I am a panicy type person myself but things have a way of usually turning out far better than I could ever imagine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 12:50 PM
what helped me

I had never had surgery before and was scared of things in general and anesthesia in particular. What helped me the most was a relaxation tape I bought. I only listened to it three times, but it taught me how to relax. From that point on, I just had to imagine the woman's voice from the tape, and I could relax. I read that I could see myself as contributing to the outcome of the surgery by relaxing beforehand. It helped me to know I could do something!

By the way, my surgery went smoothly and recovery has been enjoyable, because every day I am obviously getting better.

Best wishes to you - it's true that waiting is so much harder than any of the recovery process!

- Flo
Unread 02-26-2002, 03:48 PM
My Fear is Killing Me

((((Gracie))))
I am so sorry that you are going through this. I wanted to let you know that it is very normal to be scared before surgery. Some people have a harder time with it than others, no matter if it is a little anixety, or a medium amout or a lot of anxiety, it is all very normal, so please don't beat yourself up about it. We will be here for you every step of the way. holding your hand and giving you great big s
It might be a good idea to talk to your Doctor about your fears, I am sure he or she can help.
If you get a chance please stop by the Chat Room, there are women in there who are having all the same feelings, fears, and anixety as you, and women in there who have been there and done that already. You can get your questions answered on real time, and get lots of love and hugs too. We would love to have you.
Please Take Care of you Sweetie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 04:13 PM
My Fear is Killing Me

You guys are going to get so sick of reading all my posts from this day,I can hear it now.."Thank god she's having surgery and will be offline for awhile!!"

Seriously,when I post I had no fear,I really have no fear..but I'm lucky..my husband is an orthopedic surgeon,and will be right by my side every second..even in the operating room itself..I said,"If he don't go in,I sure ain't going in"..

actually,it's kind of a package deal,after the hyster,or whatever is going to happen tomorrow,he's removing a bothersome cyst from the back of my head..I said,hey,while I'm OUT,get this darned thing off of me,will you??

I worked as a unit secretary in a hospital for over 8 years when we were first married..no matter what bad stories you read,I honestly feel hospitals are one of the safest places to be..you are surrounded by highly trained,educated people,with an unending number of gadgets and equipment designed to carry out practically every body function on its own, should your body not cooperate. Unless you are very old,or have major..and I mean,MAJOR health problems,the stats are extremely low of anything happening to you..for the few not so nice things you hear happening,there are truly thousands of non happenings.

anesthesia nowadays is very safe,believe me,with malpractice being what it is,NO ONE wants a problem..if they fuss and double and triple check,they're not forgetful,it's being careful..IV's are scary if you've never had one,or fear needles in general,but they can also freeze your hand or arm or whatever BEFORE they even poke you,request it.

There are real life people under those green hats and masks,with families and kids..hey,they are often patients themselves,with the same fears when it comes to this kind of thing..talk to them..don't be afraid of being thought of as a sissy,or a coward,or any of those other things..it's NORMAL to be leery of the unknown...

the more you let the surgical team know,the better you'll feel..get it out in the open,and it doesn't become so awful anymore..let them give you a nice big pre med if you feel you can't even tolerate the thought of SEEING all that green,or anything shiny and tech looking,or tubes,hoses,gauges,ACH! just kidding,but seriously..let yourself get looped on the premed,I've seen it help..

Reading all of these dozens and dozens of posts on fear,it brings back memories of all the patients I've sat with,preop;all the hands I've held,especially those of big macho type guys that go all to pieces,literally,the minute an orderly comes in the door with their chart..now,THAT'S a thing to see, an ex football player or a 6'3 guy, that is hyperventilating at the sight of that stretcher,meant for*GASP* HIM!!!

I'm not making fun of their fear,but man,the memories..try calming someone like that down,they can just about break your arm clutching at it..but this is the Gods truth,I have never,EVER had a woman react that way.

You're made of stronger stuff than a lot of people, member that..if I was able to make it over there and hold your hand,I'd do it in a heartbeat..at least you'd leave some circulation in my hand,right??

Sending nothing but good thoughts and calmness your way..Cynthia
Unread 02-26-2002, 06:59 PM
My Fear is Killing Me

When they tried to put the mask over my face in the OR I got upset and made them take it off. They just held it above my face til I was out. I hadn't thought about that before surgery, I seem to have a touch of claustrophobia, I just had to make them take it off. Other than that everything was fine. I had been in the holding area for a long time, the surgeon who had the OR I was going in to went hours over, the Vicodin had worn off before I got in there.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register