lavd on 3-27-02 endo | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lavd on 3-27-02 endo lavd on 3-27-02 endo

Unread 02-25-2002, 04:19 PM
lavd on 3-27-02 endo

JUST RECENTLY CAME ACROSS HYSTER SISTERS. WHAT A WONDERFUL SIGHT! I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I WILL BE HAVING A HYSTERECTOMY(LAVH) ON 3-27-02, MY NERVES ARE ALREADY AT THEIR PEEK. I HAVE HAD ENDO FOR ALMOST 17 YEARS NOW, AND I'VE LIVED THROUGH 9 SURGERIES. ALL OF MY PRIOR SURGERIES WERE LAPRASCOPE AND THE LAST ONE I HAD THEY TOOK MY TUBE AND OVARY ON THE RIGHT SIDE. I NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH ANY OF MY OTHER SURGERIES BUT I CONSIDERED THEM MINOR, THIS IS MAJOR SURGERY. I'M SO AFRAID OF WAKING UP IN ALOT OF PAIN, AND I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE WHAT ITS GOING TO BE LIKE NOT TO HAVE MY CERVIX. I'M 42 YEARS AND VERY SCARED. IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS HAD THIS SURGERY PLEASE LET ME KNOW OUR OUTCOME?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 06:17 PM
lavd on 3-27-02 endo

Johnny,

I know you are really scared and worried about the pain, but I think anyone who has lived with endo for 17 years and gone through 9 other surgeries will do just fine! I had severe endo too and had a TAH/BSO about 3 months ago. With my surgery, I had a large abdominal incision (about 7 inches), but if your surgery will be LAVH, you will only have small incisions ... less pain than a large incision. As for internal pain, each of us is a little different in terms of pain tolerance but most hospitals work with you to keep your pain well-managed. Most ladies have a pain pump (morphene) right after surgery. Check with your dr about this. I'd have to say that I really wasn't that aware of internal pain the first couple of weeks, primarily because the incision pain was more noticeable. As my incision pain lessened, then I noticed more discomfort (not really pain) inside.

As for not having a cervix ... your incision will be different than mine so I may not be a good person to compare with. But my cervix was removed too and I'm doing great. I'm 46, so a little older than you. If your concern is related to sex without a cervix, let me try to ease your mind. After getting over some initial fear about pain and concerns about not being able to perform , I can tell you that everything is just fine without my cervix. The truth is, after several years of pain with sex, this is so much better for me and for DH! I hope this has eased your mind a bit. There is life after a hyst, really ... and it's good!

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register