Surgery is booked - LAVH - March 15/02 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery is booked - LAVH - March 15/02 Surgery is booked - LAVH - March 15/02

Unread 02-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Surgery is booked - LAVH - March 15/02

I've just joined this forum and would welcome any pre-op and post-op hints. I'm a 37 yr old mother of 4 sons;aged 13, 12 and 7 yr old twins. I've been trying to prepare them for the fact that 'mama' will be somewhat incapacitated following surgery. Any tips of hints on how this could be easier for all of us? Any personal accounts of how you and your family managed post-op would be greatly appreciated.
Other than being anxious I'm feeling great relief that surgery has been booked. My other concern is the usual post-op q's, like how long will I be 'off my feet' so to speak.
Thanks in advance for any responses...and thanks to the hystersisters for creating this excellent forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 06:01 PM

Michelle,
Oh my, four boys! I'll bet life is very interesting for you.

Please check out the pull down menus at the bottom of the hystersisters home page. There are great tips for what to take to the hospital, questions to ask your gyn, etc. Also, check out the "punctured princess" menu for tips on how others can help care for you.

I had a TAH/BSO, so can't tell you much about the LAVH procedure. However, regardless of how your incision is done, you have the same healing going on inside. Most gyns tell their patients to expect a 6 to 8 week initial recovery period (but be sure to ask your gyn about this). As for being "off your feet," everyone is a little bit different in terms of pain tolerance and every surgery is a bit different, depending on exactly what your surgery will entail. Some ladies are "on their feet" pretty quickly, others take longer. The first two weeks seem to be the toughest for most ladies. During this time, most of us are not allowed to drive so that could be an issue for your family. Please keep in mind that you only have ONE time to heal properly from this surgery, this is your time to be pampered, so don't let your family make demands on you that could jeopardize your full recovery. I've read more than one post here from ladies who overdid it and ended up back in the hospital with complications. So try to prepare your family for the possibility that you won't be doing much at all for at least two weeks. Many ladies prepare meals and freeze them in advance or have family stay with them for a week or two to help out with children.

Hope this has been some help. I have only one daughter and she is 20 ... so between DH and DD, I was an exceptionally pampered princess And I had a great recovery with no complications ... life at 12 weeks post op is wonderful!

Best of luck,
Beth
Unread 02-25-2002, 07:00 PM

Thank you Beth for your quick response! I had already planned to prepare several meals prior to surgery. Just the everyday kinda things that pop up, like lost lunchbags or oh mOOOOOOm i've no jeans to wear today!...the boys are very helpful and we work well together as a 'team'...but never has the 'captain' been under-the-weather for longer than a day or two.
How long were you in the hospital post-op? and if you work how was it before you returned to work?
Oh by-the-way I did check out the pull down menus, thanks for the tip they were very informative!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 09:06 AM

Michelle,
Glad to hear you have a good team there at home!

I was in the hospital just 2 days. Had surgery at 2 pm on Thursday, left at noon on Saturday. I could not wait to get home. The hospital staff was very nice, but they were overworked, I was helpless (TAH/BSO), and I knew DH would take better care of me at home. I was right! With a TAH, the big challenge at first is just moving around, getting in and out of bed or a chair or the couch

I've read a number of posts from ladies who had LAVH procedures and went home the day after surgery, so your stay could be shorter than mine. Be sure to ask your gyn about this.

I work full time and went back to work at just a couple of days shy of 7 weeks. That was just right for me, but some ladies take longer. Keep in mind, I did not have a large family at home making demands on me so I was able to rest a lot and minimize any household chores for the six+ weeks I was at home. I was VERY lucky and had no complications at all. Yeah!

Keep reading and posting. I'm sure you'll hear from other ladies who had LAVH and can tell you about their recovery.

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register