14 days to go--scared | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

14 days to go--scared 14 days to go--scared

Unread 02-25-2002, 06:51 PM
14 days to go--scared

HI- I HAVE BEEN LURKING FOR FOUR WEEKS AND I LOVE THIS SITE. I FIND COMFORT IN IT WHEN I GET UPSET ABOUT MY SURGERY. I AM 14 DAY FROM TAH-BSO AND A BL REPAIR. I AM 53 YEARS OLD AND THE ONLY TIME I HAVE BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL IS TO HAVE MY TWO CHILDREN. I AM SCARED TOO DEAD. WILL I LOOSE TOTAL DAYS DUE TO PAIN MEDS? SHOULD I GET A SECOND OPINION? WILL I BE ABLE TO STAY BY MYSELF AT HOME AFTER SURGERY? I COULD GO -ON AND-ON.
KAREN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 07:25 PM
14 days to go--scared

Hi Karen,

I'm glad to welcome another Karen to Hystersisters

I'm glad you decided to ask your question. I think it's pretty normal to be scared before any kind of surgery, so don't feel that you're alone.

Any time you are having surgery, a second opinion is a good idea. But that's totally up to you and how comfortable you feel about your doctor's recommendations. Insurance companies sometimes insist on one before they give the approval, sometimes not.

I had a TVH and was on a morphine pump afterwards for less than 24 hours. I don't remember too much about the first night, but I did wake up several times and I remember having visitors. By the next morning, I was alert and I went home after lunch the day after my surgery.

Since everyone's experience will be slightly different, please talk to your doctor about the type of anesthesia that he plans to use and about how it will affect you.

As far as taking care of yourself goes, it is alot easier if you have someone else there, but with careful pre-planning you could probably do OK on your own.

Please continue to ask your questions. That's what we are here for.

's

Karen
Unread 02-25-2002, 07:55 PM
Welcome Karen!

Yup you got it the nervie and don't feel like you are alone, because sweety you aren't. Each of us that have had surgery have went through the same thing. If you feel like you need a second opinion then by all means get it. The first week you really need someone with you, but sometimes it just can't be that way. If you have some friends at least line up some people to call if you need them and to check on you during the day. No showers etc. until someone is home with you. make sure everything is where you can reach it easy because lady no bending alowed. God Bless and keep on reading. You are not alone out there take my word for it. We are always here 24/7 so give us a holler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 06:08 PM
14 days to go--scared

Karen
Welcome!

What you're feeling IS normal. Cancelling is not in your vocabulary any more. You know I'll tell your DH

Pretty soon you'll be for joy that you had this done.

Keep in touch

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register