HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long do you expect to use stool softener? How long do you expect to use stool softener?

Unread 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM
How long do you expect to use stool softener?

I have been taking colace every day since the day of my surgery, starting at three a day, tapering off to two a day and the last few days to one a day. I think I have to bump it back up to two a day again, and I am still having a really hard time getting a BM and although it isn't quite as painful as the first few, it's not normal either. It will be four weeks tomorrow.

How long do you think you will need or want to take colace or which ever you am taking? I haven't looked into it yet as far as if it is healthy enough for long term use. I barely even remember what it is made of. I hope it is ok to keep on taking it! Thanks for any thoughts and recommendations.
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Re: How long do you expect to use stool softener?

I was told to take them as long as I was still taking hydrocodone. Once I stopped taking those I stopped the stool softeners. I haven't had any problems since.

(I stopped them about one week post op)
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:39 PM

The P.A. at my surgeons office said I could keep taking them for a while long. On Friday, my primary care dr said it wasn't like taking a laxative in regards to being detrimental to bowel health, to keep taking them as long as I needed to. In a couple of weeks I will try two a day, and a couple of weeks after that I will (hopefully) be able to go to one, and then none. I do plan on continuing the prohibitive, probiotic, however.
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:56 PM

I was going to call my Dr. tomorrow and ask him the very same question. It'll be 5 weeks for me this coming Wednesday, and like you, I've tapered down to 1 colace daily and my bowels still haven't normalized. I feel good and my recovery thus far has been GREAT but I'm really hoping that this is not going to be a 'forever' thing.
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:06 PM

I think I need to increase mine. Right now I take 2 a day but my BM is not regular. And it feels like everytime I eat something solid I have to go but can't. Prune juice, water, peppermint tea nothing seems to work. I'm going to try 3 a day and see how that works. I stopped taking the norco a few days ago.
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:15 PM
How long do you expect to use stool softener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese42 View Post
I think I need to increase mine. Right now I take 2 a day but my BM is not regular. And it feels like everytime I eat something solid I have to go but can't. Prune juice, water, peppermint tea nothing seems to work. I'm going to try 3 a day and see how that works. I stopped taking the norco a few days ago.
I'm also drinking prune juice daily and eating activia yogurt and with all of that, its still not normal. I may have to go back to oatmeal for breakfast with an apple and increasing my stool softeners from 1 to 3 like I was in the hospital.
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:10 PM

I am seven weeks post op as of tomorrow (Monday, May 6th). I took Ducolax stool softener for six weeks - two a day, every day up until that point. I found it helpful. I haven't taken any in a little over a week and it's been okay.

I'm still not back to a BM every like I was before surgery, but I've gone from having to take a laxative every four-five days in order to go to now going every two-three days without any laxative help. I'm slowly returning to normal. It has taken time, but as long as I know I'm going in the right direction, that's just fine with me.
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM

I used stool softeners before the surgery, and for about a week after, while I was on Ibuprofen.

Psyllium fiber (Metamucil, or the sugar-free generic I get at Walmart) seems to work for me. I take 5 .5gm capsules, twice a day; the bottle says up to 15 a day. I also try to take flax seed meal in food. On occasion I use a glycerin suppository, when things seem hard to start...
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:47 PM

I had an issue taking colace after my hysterectomy. I didn't have any issues going to the bathroom until 4 weeks after surgery. I was still taking colace, and became very constipated. My hubby talked to the pharmacist and he said our bodies get used to the colace and it quits working. He said to use mirlax a couple times a week. I have and haven't had any problems since.
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:30 PM

I'm 4 weeks out and still needing to take something. If I forget or only take one I can't have a bm. I'm taking 2 Colace a day but I might try the mirilax, I've read it works for a lot of sisters. I was wondering the same thing. I think it just takes our bodies a while to get back to "normal."

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.