My son is terrified - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My son is terrified My son is terrified

Unread 02-26-2002, 06:41 PM
My son is terrified

chemyn has some great ideas,Tracy..my boys are 11,and we were fortunate enough to be able to send them to our oldest and his wife,back in Pennsylvania,for the rest of the school year..

They called tonight,to make sure someone called them after school,to make sure I was okay.. Heath(my oldest) is going to take them shopping and get me a card,and to the florist and order a small arrangement..distractions..

maybe your son could go with your mom or a friend and do something similar? it would sort of get his mind off the waiting,but at the same time he'd be doing something nice for you..
Cynthia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 07:56 PM
Tough decision

Only you really know what is right for your son, and it's a tough call for any Mom who is already stressed! There have been so many great posts already....here's what I did...

My DD just turned 11 and knew what I went through pre-op (the pain and bleeding) and had a reasonably good idea about what my surgery and recovery might entail. She and I are VERY close as her Dad and I divorced when she was 3 and I remarried 5 yrs ago. Thank goodness, she and DH are true buddies. Up until surgery time, I did not want her to visit me in the hospital - didn't want her to see me that way - but talked with her in a very frank manner - and she was willing to wait until I came home (with many phone calls, of course). My Mom took her to and picked her up from school on my big day, and she stayed at her grandparent's until I came home. The funny thing is, I came out of surgery feeling VERY good (....loopy from the meds- I actually called the store that I manage and apparently told an employee that my surgery was successful - they removed all of my teeth!?!?!?!?) My DH and parents "suggested" that I call my DD that afternoon and wait until the next day to actually see her. Which I did, and we all are well!

I did prepare care packages for both my DD and DH - a card for her for each morning that I was not home, with a very personal message - she has saved them all; for my DH, a bag with his favorite magazines, candy and gum, for all of the time he spent in the castle by my side.

Good luck to you and yours... Janet
Unread 02-27-2002, 04:58 AM
My son is terrified

Hi Tracy,

I just thought I'd add my comments here. You may want to check with the hospital to see if they will allow your 9 y/o to visit. Often times there are age restrictions, although I'm sure that there are ways around it.

I noticed on your profile that you have two other younger sons. Perhaps you could have a talk with your 9 y/o about being the "brave big brother" and setting an example. Personally, I would hesitate to have a 9 y/o waiting at the hospital, but I tend to agree with the others who have posted that perhaps he could spend the day with a close relative or friend. If the hospital will allow him to visit, I would think that once surgery is done and your are in your room might be the best time for him to come visit.

I'm sure it's very hard on you to have him reacting this way. I hope that your love and reassurances will go a long way to ease his worries.

Best wishes and s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 06:36 AM
My son is terrified

The day is here I leave for the hospital about 8:20. We decided to take him with us. He can be with me in pre-op, already checked. Then after the Dr goes out and tells everyone that everything is fine he is going to see Grandpa.
Thanks for all the input.
Tracy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register