is there any way to perpare for and I,V, | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is there any way to perpare for and I,V, is there any way to perpare for and I,V,

Unread 02-25-2002, 09:39 PM
is there any way to perpare for and I,V,

I have small vains and the can't fine my vains very easy
is there anything I can do to make my vains easer to find
I tried the search and it didn't come up with anything on vains
I would be thankful for any help on this one
as anytime I have ever had blood taken or an I.V.put in the has had a hard time finding my vain and I end up with bruses
thanks so much
Ladypeewee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Small Veins

I too have trouble with small veins. It is and issue every time I donate blood or need an I.V. I had my surgery 01/22/02. I was told by the nurse to hydrate myself prior to having surgery. I hope that helps.
Unread 02-26-2002, 02:51 AM

I plan on telling the anesthesiologist that I have this problem at my pre-op appt. I once had them try 17 times! They have found that if they give me a numbing shot at the site (this works better than the numbing pad things) they can dig around if they need to do so. This usually works on their first attempt. Good luck to you. I'm more worried about the i.v. than the whole surgery!

--Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 03:18 AM

Please tell your Doctor you have trouble with having lines put in as the vein is small.
I suffer from this problem as of my size and I have found they tissue within 15 minutes of a drip going up.

One time in emergency a Doctor put in a size 5 childrens needle
( size here in Australia) and it lasted alot longer than any have ever done.

So suggest they use a smaller needle.

Its sometimes better to have the gas to knock you out and the have the line put in when your asleep. Other wise you can have so many tries they'll have to put a line in the side of your neck vein.

They hurt heaps too, trust me Ive had several.

Anyway good luck I hope this helps.

Donna
Unread 02-26-2002, 05:14 AM

I don't know if my veins are small, but they 'blow' the line out very easily. I have found that if they elevate my arm they find a vein and the line stays in alot longer. Even when I have blood taken for tests now, I lie down and have them put a few pillows under my arm before they start looking.

If you tell them in advance they are happy to accomodate you. Those nurses want to be successful on the first try just as much as we want them to be.

Wishing you no more bruises!

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaaite
Unread 02-26-2002, 06:10 AM

Hydration is a GREAT idea for a lot of reasons, including ease of starting the IV.

Another thing that helps is to be warm. Before they even thought of starting my IV they wrapped me up in 2 very warm, cozy blankets. Warmth encourages good circulation throughout the body, including the extremities.

I also try to move about as much as I can beforehand, again to increase circulation, whenever I know they are going to attempt to tap into one of my veins.

Finally, the IV nurses are almost always very, very good. The last IV I had, for my hyst, went in so easily and painlessly that I couldn't believe it. The nurse who did it in the pre-op area is there all day, 5 days a week, primarily for that purpose. And, due to acute anxiety, I was greatly relieved because that was the route for the Versed that followed!

Best wishes and *hugs* to you!

Helen

2/5/02 - SAH for large fibroid
Unread 02-26-2002, 06:17 AM

I too feared the IV as much as the surgery! I have boney hands and my veins roll. When I had my D&C in Nov, my hands were a mess from all the attempts and hurt for a week after surgery! I asked that the anesthesiologist put my IV in, but when I got to surgery holding one of the surgery nurses took a look and said she could do it, and it was painless! She put the tourniquet on and had me **** my hand downward and there was no problem. And no infiltration problems after surgery either! Good luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register