I'm new here! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm new here! I'm new here!

Unread 02-26-2002, 05:13 AM
I'm new here!

I live in Ortona. It's not even a town. It's between LaBelle and Moore Haven, FL. I was born in Ft. Myers and raised in Lehigh Acres. Talk about a native. LOL.
I am waiting for my call back to set up my pre-op appointment with my Dr. for a TVH.
I have been to 5 doctors with my problems. I go without a monthly for 3 months and then have it for 3 months. The last one started on Chrsitmas Day 2001. I have tried BC pills, Provera, Methergine. I had a D&C in 1999 and another one in 2001. Nothing will stop my bleeding.
My new Doc said on the first visit, it's time to take it out. I am happy that I will finally get some relief. But I am very scared. I had my tubes tied 11 years ago. My child bearing days are over. I am 34. I am worried about the sex. But mostly I am worried about the anesthesia. When I had my tubal my heart beat went down so low that they thought I was going to die. And in October I had my gallbladder taken out. When I woke up I couldn't breathe and they had to give me an asthma treatment. I do not have asthma. The anesthesiologist said I told him I had sleep apena. I never said that at all. I told my family Dr. and she ordered my op notes.. NOTHING is in there about it. I am scared they are going to kill me with the meds. Do I get to choose my anesthesiologist? And if so, How in the world do I go about doing this? Anyone in my area, (FORT MYERS) that knows a good anesthesiologist, Lemme know! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 05:28 AM
I'm new here!

Windy, Welcome!

I would strongly suggest that you discuss this with your Dr. Many Dr.s have a few favorites that they prefer working with. Your Dr. has access to your prior surgery reports and can have the anesthesiologist look them over. Maybe there was a common drug they used that caused your reactions and a substitute can be found.

It sounds like you have tried alot of options before deciding on a hysterectomy. Are you keeping your ovaries? You mention your family doctor...does she have any thoughts on this surgery for you?

Wishing you the best!

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 02-26-2002, 03:52 PM
I'm new here!

Hi Windy!

I very much agree with Kaatie; discuss your previous problems with general anesthesia with your surgeon, when you go for your pre-op appointment at the castle, when you meet with the anesthesiologist and anyone else who asks your medical history.

You seem to have a sensitivity to one of the agents you have received. Breathing or "asthma" treatments are not that uncommon after general anesthesia. When I had my surgery, I was under general anesthesia for just under 5 hours and my Dr. ordered breathing treatments for me every two hours for the first eight hours I was in my room. The breathing treatments usually deliver a medication to open the bronchioles (little tubes in the lungs that lead to the area where actual respiration takes place). I have no history of asthma or breathing problems either; in my case the treatments were precautionary. My blood pressure was also very low for the first 24 hours, but returned closer to normal once the morphine pump was discontinued and I was switched to oral percocet.

Anesthesia is much safer nowadays than it was in years gone by. You may also be able to have the option of spinal anesthesia since you are going to have a TVH, in which case you wouldn't need general anesthesia at all. However, your Dr. and the anesthesiologist are the only ones who can decide this with you.

I'm sure that you will be fine as long as everyone is aware of your history. Please try not to worry too much...easier said than done at times, I know!

Best wishes and s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 07:55 PM
Update!

Doc office called today. Pre-op appt. is March 5th with lab work being done at the hospital that same day. I am scheduled for a visit in the castle on the 11th. *SIGH* I am nervous. I haven't been able to sleep good for 2 days.

Kaatie,

I am keeping my overies. But until last night, I had no idea I could keep my cervix. I will be checking into that. And my family Doc knows all the trouble I have had and I just finally asked her if she had a recomendation.
When I first met my new doc, I felt so good. I felt like finally someone was listening to me and that it was not in my head. I am overweight and have been told if I loose the weight I will loose the problem. I agree that weight contributes but I do not believe it is the only reason.
Oh yes, I have printed the questions to ask list from this page. I have added a few things. Like the anestesia concern.
Thanks so much for reading my concerns and replying!
HUGGLES,
Unread 02-26-2002, 08:29 PM
{{{Windy}}}

I am glad to hear you are going to keep your ovaries. That will save you the surgical menopause adjustments.

We are all nervous when we hear the news and get a date. It's very normal. We will help you through it. Talking about it and asking questions helps. The waiting was the worst part for me.

Please take a moment and update your profile with your surgery date so we can send you off with lots of well wishes. Lots of ladies enjoy the daily surgical postings and we wouldn't want you to miss out.

Wishing you a peaceful heart.

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register