getting nervous | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

getting nervous getting nervous

Unread 02-26-2002, 07:38 AM
getting nervous

Hi new here just found out am going to have tah march 8th, they are going through my c-section scar which is vertical, anyone else had this through old c-section scar. Would love some info on what to expect after and months later. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 09:27 AM
getting nervous

Hi there!

I didn't have a c-section scar, but I did have my TAH via a vertical incision. My incision runs from my belly button down to my hair line.

My recovery didn't have any complications, but it wasn't easy. My abdomen was incredibly sore and swollen for the first 6 weeks, and this continued off and on for about 5 months, especially when I did too much.

Some things to think about, that might make your recovery a little easier:

Once you're at home, you'll need to have some comfortable clothes to wear. I found men's pajamas very comfortable, because the large, drawstring waists came up well above my incision, and the button-up tops didn't have to go over my head (hard to get my arms up). You will probably want to have large, "granny-panties" in a size or two large than you normally wear (you will be swollen and sore!).

Have a tummy pillow handy at all times! This would be a small pillow that you hold against your abdomen when you have to sneeze or cough. Keep it where you can grab it with only a second’s notice! I had a sneeze sneak up on me once when I couldn’t grab my pillow – ouch! It felt like my insides exploded.

Have plenty of no-preparation foods on hand, like fruit, soup, cereal, snack bars, etc. I had absolutely no appetite for a couple of weeks, and my frantic husband finally convinced me to drink some Ensure, which went down ok. You may want to have some of that in the fridge for times you just don’t feel like eating, but need nourishment.

Also, buy PLENTY of juice! You will need to drink LOTS of liquids when you get home to help with the gas. I got bored with the same type of juice, so my husband bought lots of different types, and put them in small containers for me (I found it difficult to lift and pour large containers for awhile). Don't drink anything carbonated, and don't use a straw (makes the gas worse).

WALKING is very helpful with the gas! Walk as often as is comfortable (my walks were VERY short and slow, but I did several a day), and it should really help get your bowels working smoothly again.

I also found a shower chair very helpful. Standing up long enough to shower wore me out! You could also use any plastic chair that will fit in your shower.

VERY IMPORTANT: have anything you might need at waist-level. This includes toilet paper, pads, clothing, cups, food, plates, etc. Believe me, you will NOT want to bend or reach for anything! The house may look cluttered for awhile with everything sitting out on counter tops, but it's worth it!

If you’re going to be alone, make sure the phone is where you can reach it at ALL times! Several of us have gotten “stuck” (couldn’t get off the couch without help, problems in the bathroom, etc.), and have needed to call for assistance. I kept a tiny cell phone in my pocket all the time. That way, I could even call my home number from inside my house if I needed my husband and he couldn’t hear me!

Also, it may be helpful to have some cash on hand. If you have to ask a friend/neighbor to run to the store to buy some milk, for example, it’s easier if you have some cash to hand them!

Once you’re feeling a bit better, you might start getting a bit bored. Unfortunately, you will be very limited in what you will be able to do. These are some things I did to pass the time, along with some suggestions from other hystersisters:

Reading LOTS of books
Writing long letters to friends and family (real letters, not e-mail!)
Organizing photo albums
Drew out plans for the garden
Bought a tape to improve Spanish skills
Watching lots of movies
Crafts, quilting, etc.
HYSTERSISTERS site!

Good luck!
Unread 02-26-2002, 10:35 AM
nervous

What great tips, Chemyn! I will have to print out this page for my DP so she can help after I become a princess too! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Blondi45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 01:42 PM
getting nervous

Wonderful advice Chemyn. I printed out a copy for myself and also for two friends who are facing surgery soon. Will use these next few days before my surgery to do things you have suggested. Thanks again. Lyra
Unread 02-27-2002, 05:40 AM
getting nervous

Hi thanks for the info, did you have a pre op with the doctor first, I have to do the tests blood etc Monday and I think talk to the doctor. Did they put you on the ob ward?
Unread 02-27-2002, 06:31 AM
getting nervous

Cheymn, thanks so much for all the great tips.

Birds, I am having my surgery the day before you. I too have a c-section scar (horizontal) that the DR is going to cut thru. He told me he likes to remove the old scar completely so it looks better. That's the least of my concern right now, but it sounds good. Hope you do well & we'll meet on the post-op side!
Barb
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:19 AM
getting nervous

Hi again Birds!

Yes, I had a pre-op. Mine just consisted of blood work and completing paperwork. Many women also have a chest x-ray and EKG, but my doctor didn't feel they were necessary for me, due to my age (28), and that I don't smoke or have any other health concerns.

I was on the ob floor after my surgery. My doctor said it was because the nurses on that floor are more used to dealing with female concerns. It didn't bother me, even though I never had children, but I could see how it could be upsetting to someone who was sad about losing the ability to have babies. If you are concerned, I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor about your options.

Good luck!
Unread 02-27-2002, 12:47 PM
getting nervous

Hi Chemyn,, Not worried about being on the ob ward, Im done with my family, only one daughter, due to infertility . I was told that the ob is a better floor to be on than any other. I have been waiting 10 years to get this done, the drs always said wait they the fibroids will shrink but didnt and have twice as many more. Oh well will get thru this one too. thanks
Unread 02-27-2002, 01:03 PM
To getting nervous

I had my surgery Jan.30,I'm still recovering , not driving yet or doing any housework. And always clinging to my pillow!
I am not handling this very well , if you really don't need this surgery, then don't have it.
It really hurts to hear the words"you will be sterile and unable to have any more children". Its not an option I want to live with. I do still have my ovaries.(walnuts as they are referred to) But I guess they just are floating by themselves now, with very little to do.
Remember you still have the time to change your mind if you can.Its ALOT to live without. I was due to have my cycle on the 12th of Feb., believe it or not , I really missed not having it.
God Bless you in whatever you decide to do.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register